Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

SQ setup help needed

Old 05-27-2004, 02:10 PM
92lx

Default SQ setup help needed

Hey guys,

I'm buying a civic hatchback, and my situation is that I want a great sounding stereo in the car. I had a nice one in my old Accord, with eh, marginal quality infinity and polk 6.5s in the car. Not components.

Anyhow, for this car, I want to do a little more, but I also do not want to use any subwoofers. I'd rather just custom mount some amp'ed 6x9s in the rear. For weight reasons as well as not wanting to deal with fiberglass.

Now, the question is, should I run 6.5" components in the front, and 5.25" 3 ways in the rear? or what? I find it odd that the front speakers are larger in this car than the rear, but anyhow......give me your thoughts.

Any recommended configurations would be much appreciated. Going for a good covering of low, mids, and highs.....but so far I don't even know how to get the lows, unless the 6x9s can really hit.

- Nathan
Old 05-27-2004, 02:36 PM
92lx

although, after reading what I've just read, it sounds like there isn't an area for rear speakers in the CX....soooo, I'll just concern myself with a really good set of components up front, no? And what to do about the bass, maybe an 8" sub, but even that's going to be heavier than I want.

- Nathan
Old 05-27-2004, 07:00 PM
rcurley55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to make a decision on what it is that you want - what is your goal. it sounds to me like you want a setup that will sound nice - but not a strict SQ setup. Sounds like you are probably going to do door mounts and no kickpanels, and no extreme sound deadening....

With that said, I think a set of front components, a small 4 channel amp (50x4), a small sub (I would actually do a 10") and a nice headunit would be the ticket.

The reason for a 10 - simple, it will be able to get to the lower notes - that's just a part of music...If you go to an 8", I would highly recommend a ID8v3. That little sucker gets pretty loud and sounds GREAT in a tiny sealed box - 0.3-0.5 ft^3. The woofer weight is right around 8lbs I think. IF you can afford to go a bit larger, port the box and you will get some better low end response.

But what is really needed is a budget to get an idea of what it is you want. I think you could do very well for around $600 if you do the installation yourself.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:19 AM
92lx

no problems doing the stuff myself, I've done several stereo installs now.....and budget of around $600 is good. I was told about some new kenwood components that only weigh like 3 lbs, I was looking around for those, havn't found them yet. Then as for the low end stuff, a small sub sounds good, I guess I need to get over my fear of weight.

- Nathan