Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

laptop to amp

Old 05-09-2004, 08:50 PM
slade311
milk-n-cookies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default laptop to amp

would this work to hook my laptop into my car stereo. i have no aux on my deck ... so if im correct this would plug straight into my amp...am i right?
Old 05-09-2004, 09:19 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

i dont get it? so its basically a big long Y connector?

id liek to know if this works too
Old 05-09-2004, 09:41 PM
slade311
milk-n-cookies

laptop has the headphone jack...and amp has the rca's. the cord makes it possible for the two to be compatible and both plugged in. but just need to be reassured if it will work. anybody?
Old 05-09-2004, 09:43 PM
1992CivicSI
Don't Conform, Innovate

You'll get a very low signal...most amps are made to accept 3 volt inputs (or higher)...your average laptop is going to only put out 800 millivolt peak to peak using the headphone or line outputs. Use a preamp and you won't have a problem though. You are also going to have a problem with the signals overlapping if you ever have the stereo and laptop on at the same time using that configuration. I would wire a switch in too swap between the two. If you ever have a line surge from your stereo it could fry your laptop. Just my two cents. rather safe than sorry.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:51 PM
xivera
insert witty remark here

Sure, it will work... but, you must make sure that the output voltage of your laptop (that stereo mini plug) is within the amplifier's operating input voltage to avoid clipping of the audio signal. That's not good. I'm confident that it will be ok. Now, a couple caveats... 1) The only way to adjust the volume is by the source unit... your laptop not your radio. 2) The only way to switch between your radio & your laptop is to switch wires.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:51 PM
slade311
milk-n-cookies

looked up those preamp things...dont get it...just totally doesnt look like what i would need in a car setup. as far as the the signals overlapping, i would never have this prob if i didnt play the two at the same time...right?
Old 05-09-2004, 09:55 PM
1992CivicSI
Don't Conform, Innovate

right. Give me a few minutes and I will find one. I built mine. Going to see if I can find a commercial one. It's the same thing that will convert speaker level inputs to RCA.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:01 PM
1992CivicSI
Don't Conform, Innovate

Any of these or similar will work. http://www.valcoelectronics.com/caudio/lineout.htm
What you do is take a headphone plu and cut the ends off. Splice those to the speaker level inputs. The RCA from that and the RCA's from your stereo are fed into a RCA Y Adapter and then to your AMp.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:08 PM
slade311
milk-n-cookies

Originally Posted by xivera
Sure, it will work... but, you must make sure that the output voltage of your laptop (that stereo mini plug) is within the amplifier's operating input voltage to avoid clipping of the audio signal. That's not good. I'm confident that it will be ok. Now, a couple caveats... 1) The only way to adjust the volume is by the source unit... your laptop not your radio. 2) The only way to switch between your radio & your laptop is to switch wires.
all the voltage and stuff...i have no clue. its a 600 watt amp. how that translates to volts...i dont know. adjusting the volume from the laptop is no prob. the amp has a place for another set of rca's so wont need to unplug anything. now im thinkin if the sound will come out of my component speakers or just my subs?
Old 05-09-2004, 10:15 PM
slade311
milk-n-cookies

1992civicsi

doin this just acts as like a ground loop isolator??????????

Quick Reply: laptop to amp