Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting-30/)
-   -   System Setup (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting/13766-system-setup.html)

Paulll 08-11-2002 08:48 AM

Does anybody Know If this is the Amp Kit I Need?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A3947%3A96490
Thanks

Baco95 08-11-2002 09:34 AM

Originally posted by Paulll
Does anybody Know If this is the Amp Kit I Need?

Yeah that will work, and for $25? :eek: I paid $120 for my amp kit :(

b00gers 08-11-2002 09:46 AM

thatll work.

but im wonder why they have 4 gauge power, but 8 gauge ground. its suppose to be the same size going in the amp and going out.

edit: nm, i guess itll work if you use two amps. but if you are running just one amp, make sure whatever size goes in, comes out.

edit #2:D : it doesnt say what size fuse is there. make sure you get the correct one in, for safety reasons. add up all the onboard fuse(s) on the amp(s), thats the size that should be near the battery.

Paulll 08-11-2002 11:40 AM

Well,

I just went to HH Greg and I got this MTX 500 Watt Amp Kit for 70$ Thats all I got, one of my friends has some wires for teh Sub. :)

IGOTTOGETFREE 08-12-2002 05:40 AM

so the smaller the gauge the better the sound what if u had a 100w amp and sub and ran a verry big wire would that be ok is it getting to big you have to worry about or getting to small?

b00gers 08-12-2002 07:04 AM

Originally posted by IGOTTOGETFREE
so the smaller the gauge the better the sound what if u had a 100w amp and sub and ran a verry big wire would that be ok is it getting to big you have to worry about or getting to small?
running too big of a wire is no harm, only in cost. and its not nessecarly(sp) better sound. using the right size wire will just provide the amp with enough juice.

100w amps wont need that thick of a cable. and the size of the amps AND the length of the cable will determine the size.

theres a really good chart around the internet and shows all this.

but with a 100w amp 8 gauge is more than enough, 10 might even do, but i dont like anything smaller than 8.

derf 08-12-2002 12:15 PM

350w rms is the max you should go for a 8 gauge, if you are runnin a 500w rms amp, go 4 gauge, and there is room for expandibility... personally I ran an 8 gauge... then got another amp and sub and bought ANOTHER amp kit so i have two 8 gauge runnin from the battery :p looks fugly and if i get the desire to make my trunk look pretty, i'll go and buy 16ft of 4 gauge and a dist block.

sound quality is based on the insulation of your RCA wires and what gauge wire it is. if your stereo needs lotsa power and you're running 10 gauge or something, it can't get all the power it needs, which equals bad sound and/or somethin is strugglin and could damange something. also, when you run the RCAs run it on the other side of the car opposite power lines, less interference when power is runnin through it. the quality of RCA cables also mean a big diff. in quality of sound

SO... ... CLIFF NOTES:

-get good quality RCA cable (you'll probably need 16ft if you mount amp in trunk)
-get 4 gauge amp kit
-make sure you have the right fuse
-mount amp right side up, don't put it upside down ;)
-don't blow your sub cuz your amp supplies more power (unless that is RMS rating)

Paulll 09-07-2002 01:59 PM

I got all the things hooked up, but the subwoofer is not working. The Amp is getting a signal from the head unit, and getting power. We are also running the rear speakers with the amp. When i turn on the car, no speakers works, i have to take out and put back in the rca. There is something called remote, what does that do?
Thanks

b00gers 09-07-2002 02:18 PM

Originally posted by Paulll
I got all the things hooked up, but the subwoofer is not working. The Amp is getting a signal from the head unit, and getting power. We are also running the rear speakers with the amp. When i turn on the car, no speakers works, i have to take out and put back in the rca. There is something called remote, what does that do?
Thanks

the remote turns the item on.

like on an amp....its constantly getting power because its a direct connection to the battery. but the amp doesnt turn on until it gets a signal...the signal which turns the amp on is given by turning the HU on.

so for the remote, you would want that wire to have power when the HU is on.....normally on an aftermarket deck, its the blue wire.

Paulll 09-07-2002 08:15 PM

well, the thing was, the wires inside the subwoofer were not hooked up. so about 3 hours was wasted, but it all works now, its so great.