Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Sub Enclosure Question

Old 04-26-2004, 12:30 PM
Vexamus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub Enclosure Question

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. It's ok, nobody here know's me anyway.

My question lies with trunk sub enclosures. I currently have two boxes in my trunk, one that contains two 8" kicker compvr subs and two horn tweeters pushing mids and highs up through the rear deck(where the 6x9's used to be). this configuration works very well for me, and I do not wish to change this aspect of my system..

I also have a dual bandpass box containing two 10" subs. I'd like to rid myself of the weight of this box as it is quite heavy and possibly integrate my subs into the space where my spare tire used to go. In my trunk, I have two amps and a Sirius Satellite radio reciever. I wish to keep these fairly accessible but in a clean and unobtrusive location so that I actually have the ability to STORE shit in my trunk when necessary.

So, my idea thus far involves simply replacing the flimsy pull up plywood panel with a thicker piece containing holes for the subs.. very simple, very easy. I can use grille's over the subs to protect them, however. I've seen some integrated enclosures that involve plexiglass or lexan.

My goal is to open up that space, drop a little bit of weight, mount all my components in an unobtrustive area(either side, probably). All without comprimising if not enhancing the volume and accoustic quality of my subs.

I've had a couple of vague suggestions involving fiber glass molding the spare-tire area to create a sealed enclosure. How would I go about doing this? And would this still enable me to keep the weight down?

Has anyone had any experience with this type of design. Pros? Cons?

Thanks in advanced
Old 04-26-2004, 01:03 PM
rcurley55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.sounddomain.com/id/rcurley

Go to the last page - I did a short writeup there on how to build a 'glass enclosure in that area. The box I built was small, but you get the idea. There's also a box there that I built for a 330ci - again, should give you a general idea on how to do this.