Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

some questions about alpine audio

Old 04-23-2004, 04:46 PM
The Question

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some questions about alpine audio

hi what up everybody, i just have some questions i want to ask about alpine type r and type x speakers... comparing both which is better? cause someone told me type r is still better and i am not sure at all about both. and 6.5" speakers for an integ, is it a perfect size for to fit with no problems? i am looking at alpine speakers n need input on type r vs. type x... i am actually thinking about putting type x component speaker system at front, and type r speakers at back since i heard therre are no type x speakers. i do not know a lot about audio so i am sorry for making a long statement. is coaxial speaker better than a regular speaker? please any input from anyone about all of my questions?thanks
Old 04-24-2004, 03:56 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

Ok, to start... for a coaxial speaker, think of what that word means... it is a tweeter (or sometimes a small army of smaller drivers) mounted to a pole in the middle of the woofer speaker. They are designed for replacing factory speakers and to usually get the best possible sound without adding external crossovers and tweeters. A component set uses seperate woofers, tweeters and crossovers... the components are made up of higher quality pieces and use an actual crossover to better filter unwanted sounds for each driver.

The Alpine Type X series is "above" the Type R series of speakers. Its still not their top-of-the-line equipment, but thats not saying anything bad about them. The Type R speakers will be an easier fit into OEM locations, as the baskets and magnets on the woofers are smaller. With the Type X components (no, there is no Type X Coaxials) you may have to use spacers or cut the plastic "frame" in the door of your car to get the larger woofers to fit, this is typical with hondas and acuras. A mix of Type Xs in the front and Type Rs in the rear, im sure would provide great sound... even Type Rs all the way around would sound good, and save some money.

If you have more questions/concerns, please post again... I tried to cover everything I think.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:34 PM
The Question

type x is above the type r i see, but id like to know what is the top of line system for alpine? i thought the x would be best since someone said to me type x is better than type r n is the best. i need input on that, and more input on the troubles n difficulty of them (installing, mounting, hassle, etc...). and which would u prefer be best or better (cost, quality, and all, etc...). thanks
Old 04-25-2004, 12:37 AM
97teg

There are a few different lines within the type x line. There are the regular type x's then there are the flaship and the absolut top of the ladder is the f1. I have the 5 1/4s and jsut had to cut the back out of the plastic "frame" as described and it fit fine. They also have have been/ will be redesigned a bit soon with a smaller x over and different tweeter. Supposed all will get the f1 tweet in some form. Thats what ive herd. I had my xovers which are big, in the doors for a bit but i messed with it so much i moved it to the trunk where it was easier to get at. Quality is really good on these speakers. The mid, im pretty sure is a vifa design, which is a well know company from denmark and is heavy and looks very well built. Tweeter is a bit harsh for my taste. I have eq'd them a bit. This could be due to speaker placement also. I found mine on ebay for 200.

I herd the x's a/b with the type r's and no contest. X's blew them away. I would suggest no rears and jsut the type x fronts. Ive been sastified with this and think having r's in the rear will degrade the sound. I don't like rear fill anyways though.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:35 AM
KuttinEdge

I also have to go with the type X components (which i just recieved this past week). The crossovers are quite big and would be a shame to hide them behind some panel. With the type x components, you can adjust the actual crossover to accommodate for speaker locations and on/off axis compensation by simply placing the jumpers to the desired settings which are illustrated in the instructions manual. For imaging reasons, I prefer to have speakers in the rear but keeping the gain low so it does not over power the fronts. There are settings on the type X crossovers for rear deck applications, but you would have to modify the speaker locations to fit either the 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" speakers.
Personally I believe that the SPX-F--- speakers are Alpine's top of the line speakers (conventionally speaking). With a retail price of about $3500.00 the SPX-Z18T speakers are a little far fetched for a speaker system that HAS to have customized enclosures.
-----
another picture of the SPX-F--- Crossover
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
alpinexover.jpg (80.8 KB, 66 views)
Old 04-25-2004, 11:43 PM
The Question

i have an 00 integ... i ithink oe speaker sizes for front and rear is 6.5 inches... what do you suggest is a better fitment or easier fitment for type x components, the 5.25" component speakers or 6.5"?
Old 04-28-2004, 09:14 PM
5thgenAccordEX
The Italian

Originally Posted by The Question
i have an 00 integ... i ithink oe speaker sizes for front and rear is 6.5 inches... what do you suggest is a better fitment or easier fitment for type x components, the 5.25" component speakers or 6.5"?
the diameter of the speaker cone isn't the problem, it is the depth of the magnet into your door, you will more than likely have problems with the depth of the magnet with either of those components, so Just go for the 6.5''
Old 04-28-2004, 09:16 PM
97teg

my 5 1/4s had no issuses with the stock plastic spacer. Just had to cut the back out bit didn't have any clearance issues with the window.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:49 AM
3kgtslflip

ok thank you all
Old 04-29-2004, 06:52 AM
3kgtslflip

basically i would have said that 5 1/4" and 6 1/2" speakers wouldnt be the main concern... and basically would have said most of what they just said so you are all good now, anymore questions with anything else just let us know?

Quick Reply: some questions about alpine audio