Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

some questions

Old 07-31-2002, 11:01 AM
Matt86
vtec ownz j00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some questions

sometime soon i'm gonna be gettin subs put in my 5th gen accord. I'll probably get 2 12's or 2 10's. However, i am worried about 2 things. First, with the 2 12's or 10's in a box in the trunk would i still be able to get to my spair tire? Secondly, If you get subs installed at some place like best buy or circuit city, they don't bolt the box down do they? Thanks
Old 07-31-2002, 11:03 AM
Matt86
vtec ownz j00

one other thing... what do you people think of mtx subs?? and what company makes the best amp?
Old 07-31-2002, 12:24 PM
smokedogg

i have 2 12's in my trunk, and i have enough room to flip open the first half of the trunk panel, and unscrew the spare, so it can be done as long as the box is as far to the front of the vehicle as it can go.

as far as your second question, I dont know. I always install them myself.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:46 PM
b00gers

depends what car its going in to....the box i have house 1 12, i have to lift the board up along with the box to get the tools out, and probably have to take the box out to get the spare. this is in a sedan. but i do have a strut bar that prevents me from pushing the box all the way back.

i never really listened to MTX, but people rave about the 8000s.

you should think twice about bolting your box down.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:20 PM
99IntegraGS

I used to own an '87 Accord. I installed a wood floor in the trunk. The box was then secured to the wood floor with metal brackets, so I could remove it without too much trouble, but it didn't slide around when installed.

In the wood floor I had a door that allowed access to the spare. I use the same type of hinge used on pianos for the lid that covers the keys.

It was a pretty sweet setup. I had 3 amps mounted to the back of the sub enclosure, and a carpeted panel with cutouts for the heatsinks that attached to the back of the enclosure. The wiring was all hidden under the carpeted panel that extended from the floor of the trunk to the rear deck, and from side to side. Half of my trunk was useable, the other half devoted to stereo.

Only once did I have to use the door to get to the spare, but I was sure glad I went to the trouble of installing it and keeping the spare.
Old 07-31-2002, 05:16 PM
Matt86
vtec ownz j00

thanks for all the help you've given me. I just have one more question. Those of you that don't have the boxes bolted down, do you have problems with them sliding or falling over or anything?

99IntegraGS: do you have any pics of that setup? It sounds nice

Thanks again
Old 07-31-2002, 05:21 PM
b00gers

Originally posted by Matt86
thanks for all the help you've given me. I just have one more question. Those of you that don't have the boxes bolted down, do you have problems with them sliding or falling over or anything?

99IntegraGS: do you have any pics of that setup? It sounds nice

Thanks again
i had a pair of 12s in an uncarpeted box, if i swing the car hard enough it does move. the corners actually ripped a hole in the carpet in the trunk.

the box i have now, does have carpet, and i guess theres enough friction that it doesnt slide.
Old 07-31-2002, 05:26 PM
99IntegraGS

Sorry Matt, no pics. I had the system in it for years, but never took any pics. Lost the car in a fire (not system related) in Nov. of '98.
Old 07-31-2002, 05:45 PM
Matt86
vtec ownz j00

Its cool... how'd that fire get started???

Thanks for the help from all of you once again
Old 07-31-2002, 05:57 PM
smokedogg

my box moves toward the back of the car when i accelerate, so i put a couple wood beams underneath teh carpet to hold it in place as a temporary fix. im not really sure how i can keep it from moving around without rebuilding an entire trunk floor outta wood.

Quick Reply: some questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: