Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

System !

Old 01-23-2004, 09:22 AM
honura
Seni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System !

oK i just got a 92 HB and I installed my system . I have a 1200watt V12 Alpine amp , 300 watt v12 amp , an HK amp not in use at this time , and 1 10" JL Audio W6 sub . Headunit is a Alpine as well . interior speakers are stock at the moment . Now what I have a problem with is at around 9-10 on the volume my lights start flashing with the bass . Im gonna go get a cap to see if that helps the problem . Please let me know what you guys think thanks !
Old 01-23-2004, 11:07 AM
BrownGuy

Originally posted by honura
Im gonna go get a cap to see if that helps the problem
The cap should fix your dimming lights dilemma...
Old 01-24-2004, 07:35 PM
Dr. Isotope

Somewhere in the power chain are wires that are too small. The "disco-ing" of the lights indicates a weak spot somewhere, whether it be undersized power or ground to one (or both) of the amps, faulty main ground, or any other number of bad chassis grounds. Check/replace all of your wiring before you drop the money on a cap-- the wire will be money much better spent. Honda uses 6ga from the alt to fusblock and fuseblock to batt + (to carry the 65-70 amps from the alt.) while your system @ peak draw is looking for something in the neighborhood of 100-120 amps. The Honda main ground and block grounds are also a wee bit undersized.

I'm all 2ga, including grounds, and while I can get massive voltage (drops to 12.5v or so, w. 135amp alt) dips at high volume, the lights won't dim at all. Big wire is your friend.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:51 PM
honura
Seni

Yeah that makes sense man ! :wiggle: Thanks alot ! :kiss:
Old 01-26-2004, 08:39 PM
Spyfunkr

A chain is as strong as its weakest link. A large set of wires wont help jack with stock battery and alternator. Im not saying big wires arent needed, but those amps will suck the life out the existing power supply. Civic's are notorious for having just enough current production for what was built into the car. You must augment that when you add amps if you want to get rid of diming lights. A cap may help a lot, but that 1992 alternator aint gonna last long.

Spy
Old 01-26-2004, 08:58 PM
honura
Seni

Yeah im swapping the motor out tomm Im thinking about getting a better alt anyways thanks for the help guys !