Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Whining in speakers.... :(

Old 01-17-2004, 04:18 PM
Fiend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining in speakers.... :(

Firstly, I appologize for the lengthy-ness of this post!

Hey guys, I'm new to Honda-Acura.net and new to owning a Honda. I just got a gold 1993 Honda Accord SE. I'm excited about it, and I'm in the process of getting all the little kinks out of the system.

So my first question is... what is it that is making my speakers whine with the acceleration of the car and follow the RPMs. Also, the signal gets stronger when any lights are activated (headlights, blinkers, brakes, etc.).

I have looked around for the past few days on other forums and I decided that you all seem to be knowledgable and could help me out. I have read lots of stuff that it COULD be...
1. Spark plugs/spark plug wires (replaced em; noise remains, but car runs a bit nicer! )
2. Alternator 'noise'. I have yet to understand what this is and how it's a possibility, but I've heard it over forums and by a friend or two....
3. The built-in premium sound amp from Bose.

My guess is since 1 didnt work and I dont understand 2, I was going to try to BYPASS my Amp (but I cant find a wiring diagram ANYWHERE), but I just want to get some other suggestions/comments and maybe one of you has a diagram for me to use to splice the cords in the trunk to bypass the amp so my head unit will just power the speakers, instead of the amp...

I simply don't know... someone help me!!
Old 01-18-2004, 12:41 PM
rgbpmp

It could be a poor ground, either for the radio, or the factory bose amp. Im not to familiar with systems with a factory amp but some times a poor ground can cause noise. Maybe try to find another place by the radio to ground it with some good wire. Strip the paint off the place you use to ground it if you decide to try.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:36 AM
Spyfunkr

I think that system may have powered speakers---iow, an amp at each speaker. Pull the head unit and check the wiring. Someone may have installed an aftermarket head and then replaced it incorrectly. If you plan to add of modify your sound system , forget troubleshooting it and dump the system. Its a hard pill to swallow, but Bose sucks and you can integrate anything into it without re-engineering it.

Spy
Old 01-20-2004, 12:55 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first guess is a bad ground.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 01-20-2004, 01:55 PM
rcurley55

Read the sticky!!!

First tell us what components are in your system. First guess is going to be a poor ground somewhere in the system...
Old 01-20-2004, 05:52 PM
KuttinEdge

A bad ground may be the case. If not, take a look and see where the main power cable is located. What happens is that the power coming from the alternator (AC power) can leak into signal carrying cables that run parallel to it (has to do with the electromagnetic feild given off). As the engine revs, the AC frequency from the alternator increases. Chances are you hear it in your tweeters and midrange before you hear it in the subs because it is at a fairly high frequency. The person before you may have installed an aftermarket stereo and put it back together half ass. To fix, run the power cables on one side of the car and the signal carrying cables on the other.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:05 PM
honura
Seni

Yeah try to find a ground if not radio shack has a filter !
Old 01-27-2004, 03:14 PM
Spyfunkr

Filters are band aids. Find the root of the problem.

Spy