Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

'96 Accord Installation

Old 12-27-2003, 11:40 AM
joshb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 Accord Installation

Alright, I've got a 1996 Accord EX. I just finished installing 2 Kenwood 6x9's in the back decks, and 2 Kenwood 6.5's in the front door decks and a brand new Blaupunkt head unit up front. First of all, I'd like to say thanks to this forum, you guys are great, the only way I figured out how to get the damn door panels off was because of honda-acura.net. Now, my question.

It's time to put either my two 12"'s in or my 15" in. I've got amps, I've got cable, I just need a little help with the wiring. I want one amp up front to power the Kenwoods I just installed. I'll mount that one under the dash, no problem. But the amp for the subs, how do I go about getting up the carpet once I run the RCA's through the center console? And once I'm there, how do I get through the back seat and into the trunk? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
Old 12-28-2003, 08:28 AM
5thgenAccordEX
The Italian

for the amp in the back, this is what i do and recommend doing:

1. For the power cable for your rear amp, run the cable down the passenger side of your car. It's much easier to run on the side of the car because the door sill pops out with just a few snaps and you can access the carpets very easily.

2. Run the RCA cables down the driver side of the car. Again, it is easy because all you do is pop out the door sill and it is easy to access the carpet.

From the dash to the sides, the carpet should pop up pretty eassily, i'm not sure if you have a foot rest for the driver side next to the cluth( or brake pedal if you have an auto) but if you do your gonna want to take that out with an allen wrench of the right size. It is better to keep the wires on opposite sides of the car anyway because a distance of 18" between Power and RCA is recommended

Good Luck!
Old 12-28-2003, 07:16 PM
Surfacing171
cb7 fanatic

Many amp manufacuters warn against mounting amps in glove boxes, under dash etc. because the amps have a tendancy to become hot, and will overheat if not given proper air circulation. I would seriously consider mounting the amp in the trunk instead of under the dash because it would be a shame for your amp to overheat.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:26 PM
joshb

Yea. I was thinking about that. The amp I'm installing under the dash will only be powering my 6*9's and 6 1/2's so I don't think it'll get too hot. I've got a DC/AC converter mounted under my passenger seat right now, so if it does get too hot I'll just hook up a power supply and mount some 60mm or 120mm fans to the amp's heat sink.