Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

amp wiring and set-up

Old 12-14-2003, 03:43 PM
LALno1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amp wiring and set-up

Hey guys,

I just ordered a jbl bp600.1 amp, and I need to know how to wire it to my subs, and which settings to put it on when I get it.

I got 2 12" subs from a friend in a box for 20 bucks that I will be running for the time being.

Jensen JSW-120 (175W RMS, 525W max)
MTX Thunder 3000 (couldn't find specs)

I don't know about ohms and that sort of thing, so I don't know how to bridge power. I'm looking for an easy explanation of how to wire everything. I have the power wire from the battery ready to go, and I have the amp wires from my deck ready to go.

Anyone willing to help me out with my predicament would be great. And if you have any suggestions for subs for me to buy in the future....I'm looking to just get one good sub for space saving, so whatever you would recommend.

Thanks
Old 12-24-2003, 10:29 PM
acuradriva

so you have 2 diff subs? do you have a box? and you dont have an ohm meter?
i would just hook up the t3000 and hook the jensen up to a wall socket and watch it smoke,
Old 12-28-2003, 08:31 AM
5thgenAccordEX
The Italian

Do more research before you get it, the more you read the better. There are tons of online forums just hit the search button and you'll come up with something. The last thing you want to do with audio equipment is mess with something when you don't know what it does. If you don't have the time to deal with it, just take it to car toys i think they tune them for like 30 bucks
Old 01-01-2004, 11:53 PM
LALno1

alright, i'm reposting because I got my amp. The speakers that i hooked up sound like crap, so I'm looking to buy one or a pair of subs to replace them. I don't know what brand to buy or what kind of subs I need.

As I stated above, I have a jbl bp600.1 mono amp. Do I need subs with RMS of 600W or max output 600W?

And what about ohms, the amp says 2 ohm stable, but I'm not sure if it is 600W at 2 ohms or not?

I'm new to this, so any suggestions will be helpful.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:44 AM
rcurley55

That amp puts out 600w x 1 @ 1 or 2 ohm mono.

I'd recommend you stick with two ohm mono. Therefore, you need a pair of subs that are either single 4 ohm, or dual 2 ohm coils.

The amp puts out 600W, so a sub that handles 300W RMS would be appropriate. That's a recommended number, and you can go either direction and be smart.

As for a sub suggestion...it all depends on what you want, how much you want to spend, and how important trunk space is to you (you didn't read the sticky did you )