Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

wire and cable...

Old 12-11-2003, 05:58 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wire and cable...

Ok, i'm having a REALLY hard time finding rather normal wire online. I'm making custom length strobe cables, so I need a 3 conductor wire, 18 gauge conductors... preferrably shielded. Something that can handle an automotive environment, i'm not gonna use "zip" cord for this...

Ebay dosent have anything... and I dont know where else to look online.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:58 PM
billscivic00

All you need to do is go to lowes or home depot. Go to the electrical department, and you can get your wire there. You want to get the stuff that has a nylon sheath coating, the coating is clear and protects the cable. Unlike other automotive wire, the nylon protects the cable from oil and other crap. I have used this stuff to power my strobes, neons, and more. Just get the gauge size you want, color, and make the cables your self.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:45 AM
Surfacing171
cb7 fanatic

www.knukonceptz.com
Old 12-12-2003, 12:07 PM
Dr. Isotope

CAT5. Cheaper than anything, digital grade, exposure rated. My whole home surround set is wired with it.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:00 PM
Technodigifreak
Hot-Modder

Originally posted by Dr. Isotope
CAT5. Cheaper than anything, digital grade, exposure rated. My whole home surround set is wired with it.
:werd:
Old 12-13-2003, 08:14 PM
honura
Seni

Originally posted by Dr. Isotope

CAT5 is not the proper wire for your home system ! :werd:

You might think it is but its not theres another wire that looks like CAT5 but its not ! CAT5 comes with 8 wires . And another thing This guys asking about strobes not home entertanment !
Old 12-13-2003, 08:21 PM
Technodigifreak
Hot-Modder

it all depends on the amount of amps he's pulling through it, if he's pulling less than 100amps, the crappy cat 5 will work, and plus its heavily sheilded against stray RF

if your not looking for high fidelity or high power, cat 5 works fine
Old 12-14-2003, 03:07 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

100 amps??? LMAO!! u mean 100 watts... and still, I would never use Cat 5 cable for home theater... theres 8 tiny solid conductors... For almost the same price of Cat 5, you can get decent 16 or 14 gauge in wall speaker cable. Shielding dosent matter on speaker cable anyways... its line level signals where you need to worry about shielding.

I guess everyone took this the wrong way... i'm making strobe cables... meaning from the power supply to the strobe heads, not powering a $5 strobe from wal-mart.

And another thing, Cat 5 cable is not meant to withstand oil, grease, fuel... anything...
Old 12-14-2003, 10:05 AM
Dr. Isotope

Lemme see if I can understand the last couple of completely wrong posts:

honura: CAT5 wrong for the home setup? Why is that? Been in mine for almost 5 years, Klipsch Audio all around, including a pair of Klipsch KV1089s in Deathboxes running 100w each... it will rattle you, sitting in your car, outside in the driveway.

The way folks have been so brainwashed into thinking they need 12ga everywhere is just funny. But it's not my money, go ahead and waste yours.

Oh, and how do I know it's CAT5? Well, it's printed on the jacket, as well as the 1000ft spool box.

Technodigifreak: I particularly laughed about "crappy CAT5" and "not looking for high fidelity or power"... :thumbup: Not to be offensive (too much) but a brilliant display of ignorance. What CAT5 is is double-shielded, oxygen-free, copper telecommunications wire. For the cost of even moderately priced good speaker wire-- about $1.50 a foot-- you could braid your own CAT5 up to whatever size your heart desired. Like this:

SumAccordGuy94: If you can find even crappy 16ga zip-wire for home speakers for the same price as CAT5, good fortune to you. 50ft of CAT5 is about $9, and my 1000ft box (in the back aisle of a thrift store) was $18-- beating 2¢ a foot is I think impossible.

Finding triple 18ga stranded in a single jacket is easy-- cut up an extension cord-- but is that the answer to the vague question you were looking for?
Old 12-15-2003, 12:08 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

Jesus Christ... someone loves his Cat 5 cable... lemme ask you this... do you sleep with it and call it names too?

size dosent nessecarily make better sound... but quanity of fine strands, that which cat 5 does not have.

Go ahead braiding your cable... have fun.

****in noobies, think they're God. Get a life prick.