View Single Post
Old 12-14-2003, 10:05 AM
Dr. Isotope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lemme see if I can understand the last couple of completely wrong posts:

honura: CAT5 wrong for the home setup? Why is that? Been in mine for almost 5 years, Klipsch Audio all around, including a pair of Klipsch KV1089s in Deathboxes running 100w each... it will rattle you, sitting in your car, outside in the driveway.

The way folks have been so brainwashed into thinking they need 12ga everywhere is just funny. But it's not my money, go ahead and waste yours.

Oh, and how do I know it's CAT5? Well, it's printed on the jacket, as well as the 1000ft spool box.

Technodigifreak: I particularly laughed about "crappy CAT5" and "not looking for high fidelity or power"... :thumbup: Not to be offensive (too much) but a brilliant display of ignorance. What CAT5 is is double-shielded, oxygen-free, copper telecommunications wire. For the cost of even moderately priced good speaker wire-- about $1.50 a foot-- you could braid your own CAT5 up to whatever size your heart desired. Like this:

SumAccordGuy94: If you can find even crappy 16ga zip-wire for home speakers for the same price as CAT5, good fortune to you. 50ft of CAT5 is about $9, and my 1000ft box (in the back aisle of a thrift store) was $18-- beating 2¢ a foot is I think impossible.

Finding triple 18ga stranded in a single jacket is easy-- cut up an extension cord-- but is that the answer to the vague question you were looking for?