Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Screwed Up Wiring

Old 10-22-2003, 06:56 AM
LateApex
Track Day Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screwed Up Wiring

I'm going to post this in Audio & Electronics and Engine Tech. The reason is because the problem crosses electronic and engine tech issues in my opinion. If I'm wrong. So be it.

BACKGROUND
I'm a fair mechanic but I stink when it comes to electrical or wiring issues. I'm an electrical klutz.

I purchased a 94 GSR 4-dr to use as a daily driver. I was aware that it had some mechanical issues when I purchased it but I totally missed that it had some electronic (wiring) issues.

I've repaired all of the mechanical issues (frt rotors, pads, rebuild calipers, replace half shaft bearing, replace CV, etc.) except an intermittant misfire that occurs from time to time when the ECU is in closed loop (slow traffic). I replaced the rotor, coil, cover, o-ring, wires, wire loom and plugs (iridium IK-20). The problem persisted in slow traffic. I swapped out the MAP with a known-good one and the problem still persists.

I was intent on swapping the TPS as a next step when I noticed that my dome lights would not work. Then, I noticed that when I put both of my dome light switches into the ON position, the "Open Door" warning light comes on in the gauge cluster.

The only electrical work done to the car by the prior owner was an after-market radio put into the car by Mobel Tel.

SITUATION
I'm sure that the issue is engine management and related to a sensor failure or sensor wiring. However, I need to assure that the integrity of the wiring in the car is good before continuing to chase after the intermittant engine problem because the wiring itself could be the issue.

QUESTIONS
Is there a device that I can buy or rent that will allow me to test out the integrity of the wiring harnesses?
If it's a long and drawn-out test, I'd like to consider replacing the harness. Are these readily available?
Is there anything else that I ought to consider?
Old 10-24-2003, 12:26 PM
Spyfunkr

Some newer radio's have alarm systems (ROFL) and they trigger off your door trigger. Check to see if they did that. I dont know what the exact results would be, but its a shot. Better yet, try removing the radio completely.

GL, Spy
Old 10-24-2003, 02:07 PM
LateApex
Track Day Club

Spyfunkr,

Thanks. I'll check that out.