Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

2 way vs. 3 way

Old 10-13-2003, 08:58 PM
nfg05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 way vs. 3 way

Hey I'm trying to decide between the 6.5" Infinity Kappa 62.5i (2 way) and 63.5i (3 way) speakers. How big is the diff between the two and is it worth the extra ~$25 for the 3 ways? I mainly listen to rock and rap so I definitely want good bass but vocals are important too. Which would you guys recommend? They'll be running off the head unit at 1st but I'm lookin at gettin an amp not too far down the line. Any help is appreciated thanx.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:10 PM
oldskool

The best thing to do is to listen to the speakers before you buy them. Good stores will usually have a setup where you can send em through an amp and listen to them with the tough of buttons (like Best Buy). Try before you buy man! You might not like the speakers if you never listened to them first.

However, if you can't listen to them, three-way is significantly better than a 2 in my opinion! Each speaker plays a role of attacking a certian frequency. What you want to look for on a speaker is a flat mid and high-end frequency response, and the 3-way is much better at achieving that. Each of the three speakers cover a certian frequency range, dedicating a certian range of sound per speaker.

This is a graph of the response of an anonymous speaker. The blue line shows a fair response while the red one shows a pretty poor one. A flatter response will result in clear mids and crisp highs without hearing that "piercing" sound when played loud.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-14-2003, 05:12 PM
99aznaccord

I agree. 3 way is much better than 2 way. I started off with 2 way and thought it sounded great until I upgraded to 3 way. I thought it was just going to sound louder since there is an added speaker. Instead, the sound coming fromt eh speakers sounded more ''flat'' and more ''natural'' I guess you can say. It's all on personal preference though. Some think that 3 way is a waste, but since yu say it's only $25 more, go for the 3 way. Usually 3 way costs at least $100 more since the crossover is also different and bigger. I also do not suggest you running them off your head unit no matter what. You may cause more damage to the speakers than you would with an amp since you would be under powering them extremely low.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:29 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

Fawk 2 or 3 way coaxial speakers. Both sound like garbage when comparing to a simple 2 -way component system. The upgraded crossover system vs a single inline cap... will really improve the seemless integration of the highs and the lows.