Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake vs. Air Box

Old 06-25-2003, 09:52 PM
LoVeAllah2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake vs. Air Box

I got my 95 accord back I august 2000. I really didn't know much about car's and I've learned quite a lot about performance, maintenance and other aspect of having a car. I bought an AEM intake a few months after I got my car…just because it was the “cool” thing to do.

My question is this:

What is the difference between a stock air box and an intake? Which is better or smarter to have? Some say having an intake gives the car more horsepower…I need a full explanation. Also, what are the pros and cons of an intake versus a regular air box and vice versa? Does having an intake cause any problems down the road? Who should have an intake and who should not...is it purely for performance or sound or what?

Please give me as much detail as possible!!!! Thanx!
Old 06-25-2003, 10:18 PM
Intrepid241

All I can say is...I have an AEM intake. Not only does it make my 6th Gen 4 cyl sound meaner, it did make it peppy...which is always good.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:55 PM
96JdmAccord
Im So JDM

Basically all the intake is doing is sucking up air. Its the same thing as a airbox just does not have a resenator. It goes like this

Stock air box:

Air goes through the resenator and gets sucked through a filter which cleans the air. The air then goes through the "black" tubeing and into the intake manifold.

Intake:

Air goes through the filter and through the tubeing into your intake manifold.

A intake is 100% safe unless it is mounted on your roof or some odd place like that. The tubeing of the intake is also smoother which lets the air come in smooth. It will increase performance and make a mean deep sound. It is a first modification thing and dont hold back on it.

The only way a intake can harm a engine is

1. has no filter
2. is located where it can be fully summerged in water. The filter can be damp and get wet just make sure its not only sucking up water and not air. Its not dangerous at all. Go for it man.

:thumbup:
Old 06-25-2003, 11:35 PM
LoVeAllah2

Originally posted by 96JdmAccord
Basically all the intake is doing is sucking up air. Its the same thing as a airbox just does not have a resenator. It goes like this

Stock air box:

Air goes through the resenator and gets sucked through a filter which cleans the air. The air then goes through the "black" tubeing and into the intake manifold.

Intake:

Air goes through the filter and through the tubeing into your intake manifold.

A intake is 100% safe unless it is mounted on your roof or some odd place like that. The tubeing of the intake is also smoother which lets the air come in smooth. It will increase performance and make a mean deep sound. It is a first modification thing and dont hold back on it.

The only way a intake can harm a engine is

1. has no filter
2. is located where it can be fully summerged in water. The filter can be damp and get wet just make sure its not only sucking up water and not air. Its not dangerous at all. Go for it man.

great info man...but yeah I've actually had an intake for the past 3 yrs...I just didn't have all the info and my baby's at 73K right now so I'm becoming more conscious of taking care of it and maintaining it versus "decking it out". If the intake was in any way harmful to the car I would have taken it out...but now I just finished cleaning the filter and reinstalled it. Thanx!
Old 06-26-2003, 04:26 AM
96JdmAccord
Im So JDM

Old 06-26-2003, 10:14 AM
peiqinglong

What about Ice boxes? Are you just curious about air boxes?