Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaned the EGR Ports

Old 06-24-2003, 02:17 PM
karyzmatique

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaned the EGR Ports

Well,

Just wanted to post a shout out to 96hacd, Jigga Fan and Sham for the helpful infos on the EGR port dilemma. I did mine this weekend, went exactly according to their posts and the job went smooth as silk, it was wonderful-after everything was cleaned of course. =) Good looking out peeps. :thumbup:

Peace.

M
Old 06-24-2003, 05:34 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

so what's the difference before the cleaning and after?
Old 06-24-2003, 08:18 PM
karyzmatique

Default No performance gains per se'

But definite smoothness of idling. Before I cleaned all of the deposits from the ports, it was almost as if the ride was suffering from asthma, or better yet emphysema, those deposits clog up the air ways and make it hard for the ride to breathe. It gets so bad you can smell the carbon deposits from the front of the car when you come from a drive. I used to have this stutter step thing from the engine every now and then. It almost felt like the engine would kill, mainly at lower rpms and such. I go through ups and downs with my ride, because sometimes it seems like things don't happen fast enough, and I don't love the ride as much as I should all the time, but every time I check out this board, my enthusiasm for the ride increases again. I really felt good after I did this maintenance because generally, I'm not a mechanic, I mean its not difficult to change out your air box and put in a short ram intake. Anyone can change out bulbs and corner lights, and tailights. But this particular gig required you to disconnect your fuel injectors and other parts of the fuel delivery system. If you didn't put the puzzle pieces back together correctly, well.... then your ride didn't run. SO I just wanna say to anyone on this board who til now have not gone too far into doing things with the ride other than changing out bulbs, lenses, short ram intakes, and colored gauges, definitely start experimenting with the ride - disconnect things and put them back together; correctly of course. You'll learn so much about how the ride works and it'll help you to decide where you wanna go with it. That's about it for now. Lata.

M
Old 06-24-2003, 09:02 PM
I Like JDM
JDM Spec Tuner

Hey..i cleaned mine too..there were alot of carbon build up but didnt feel or notice a difference at all. Gas mileage didnt change, idling didnt change... I wonder whats the purpose of cleaning it.

But yea.....big ups to sham for the directions...I used them too.:thumbup:
Old 06-24-2003, 09:26 PM
AccordCoup94

where are the directions at? i want to do it too!
Old 06-24-2003, 10:01 PM
hondaman-iac

heh, i did mine too and it ran better for a few days, then it just came back to "normal"
Old 06-25-2003, 07:19 AM
karyzmatique

AccordCoupe94

Just SEARCH "egr ports" in the accord forum and you will find a number of different threads. The ones I referenced were by jigga fan, sham, and 96hacd.

Peace
Old 06-25-2003, 08:04 AM
XHondaTech

You won't notice any difference if there is not a cloggage of the ports. The 90-93 accords were very notoriuous for this problem. Slight acceleration at about 1800 RPM they would start "missing" feels like an ignition problem.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:40 AM
karyzmatique

What XHondaTech said!!!!! =) I did experience that "missing" feeling, felt like a stutter step, and mine definitely were clogged. A visible inspection of the ports will determine whether they need cleaning or not.

M