Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt

Old 06-23-2003, 01:09 PM
LoVeAllah2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt

Ok...I just saw a post regarding a timing belt and damage occuring from not replacing a timing belt when it should be replaced. I have a few questions...

Is a timing belt the same thing as a sepentein belt? And can some one tell me what exactly a timing belt is and does?

I bought my car used back in 2000. I have put about 33k on it. I have maintained it pretty well but I am not 100% sure I ever replaced it or whether it was replaced by the previous owener.

Do places like Valvoline replace these things? The reason why I am asking is becuase I always have my oil changed on time and they do more than just check the oil...they check the fluids and a few other things...so if I needed it replaced would places like valvoline tell me whether or not I need it replaced?

What places should I take it to in order to get it replaced? Dealer/Full service shops like Firestone?

Is there any way I can check if I need it replaced? I don't feel like spending around $70 to take it to the dealer just so that they can tell me whether or not it needs replacement...

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 06-23-2003, 01:57 PM
Shifty_Rick

Timing belt and serpentine belt are different horses. The timing belt basically keeps the crankshaft and cam(s) in time with each other. The serpentine belt drives the accessories (alternator, water pump, etc).
Old 06-23-2003, 05:49 PM
jfiedler
Junior Member w/Fries

Default Re: Timing belt

Originally posted by LoVeAllah2
Is a timing belt the same thing as a sepentein belt? And can some one tell me what exactly a timing belt is and does?
timing belt drives and maintains correct ratio of the camshafts and crankshaft rotations, and also drives the water pump.

serpentine belt (not found on hondas...unless you count passports...i dont count honda-branded isuzu trucks) or in honda's case - drive belts or v-belts - run accessory items, such as alternator, power steering, and a/c.

I bought my car used back in 2000. I have put about 33k on it. I have maintained it pretty well but I am not 100% sure I ever replaced it or whether it was replaced by the previous owener.
unless the previous owner is paranoid, it wasn't done yet.

Do places like Valvoline replace these things?
if they do, don't let them do it. it's pretty important it be done correctly.
What places should I take it to in order to get it replaced? Dealer/Full service shops like Firestone?
go to a dealer or trusted mechanic, but use factory parts (especially in this case...these are vital parts to your engine).

Is there any way I can check if I need it replaced? I don't feel like spending around $70 to take it to the dealer just so that they can tell me whether or not it needs replacement...
do it every 70k miles. you don't wait for it to need replacing...it's preventative maintenance. a snapped t-belt can mean death to your engine, causing bent valves in most cases. not always though...sometimes the car is fine afterward.

Any help would be appreciated!
you're welcome
Old 06-23-2003, 06:24 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Your owners manual probably recomends either 90k or 105k for the timing belt. I suggest having it replaced about 10k before the recomended interval. Before that, just do the routine maint. (oil, coolant, etc.) and your car will be perfect. But be prepared. You should know that a timing belt change is an intense operation, so dealers will charge anywhere from 450.00-600.00. This includes: timing and counter balance belts, new water pump (water pumps are internal on Honda engines, so even if it's good at this time, you change it no matter what), accessory belts (alternator, power steering, A/C.... separate belts for all accys., unlike domestic motors which run everything on one serpentine belt), and valve adjustment. But don't worry. It's only once every 80k or so, and other than that Honda's run pretty cheap. You could dump that every year on a domestic!
Old 06-23-2003, 07:14 PM
skabone69

my car hits 90000 in a month, I'm not looking foward to that hit. So is the price of 400-600 cover the 90000mile checkup as well as the services you listed? If not....ouch
Old 06-24-2003, 02:07 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Originally posted by skabone69
my car hits 90000 in a month, I'm not looking foward to that hit. So is the price of 400-600 cover the 90000mile checkup as well as the services you listed? If not....ouch

You drive ninety thousand miles in one month ?????? Holy live in your car! You can't be serious.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:28 AM
XHondaTech

The 90k service runs anywhere from 300-450 depending on where you live and who does the work (dealer, etc). The T-belt replacement will be an additional 450-600 on top of that.

If you're price checking make sure you comapre apples to apples, lots of places try to reel you in with a low price then start into the job and try "upselling" the balance belt/seal and water pump.

Do not go to Firestone type places, cheap parts and a lot of ignorant techs, not stupid, just ignorant (incomplete knowledge) no offense to anyone here who may work there.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:57 AM
xX94aCcOrDXx
leet member

i had a 90k mile major service + timing belt replacement 5 years ago. $255.71 for parts, $502.60 for labor = $758.31 =/
Old 06-24-2003, 12:09 PM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

Originally posted by skabone69
get it done in NH and save money from not paying tax. honda barn in stratham, where i go, is $420 for accords.

this includes everything. you may want your fuel filter done at the sametime too.

i think for 6th gens isn't the timing belt service like 105K? if so wait till then.

here is some crucial timing belt info, it's not majic, it will not mysteriuosly break at 90K or 105K or whatever honda says to do it at. you can go another 10K easily before having it done. hell on my girlfriends old civic i did it at 105K when it should have been done at 90K.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:46 PM
jfiedler
Junior Member w/Fries

my original belt broke (teeth ripped off the belt) at 175k miles...i was told the previous owner did the t-belt before i bought it w/100k miles. oops.

car is fine tho.