Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic oil

Old 06-06-2003, 11:00 AM
cjamie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no need to use expensive oil... regular stuff should work... after all it is not a high rev/precision engine...

that's the whole point of buying honda to begin with-cheap maintanence and worry free...
Old 06-06-2003, 01:15 PM
hype8912
Dr. Klaw

Regular oil worked for you dad and grandpa maybe. We have technology to make our lives easier and as BASF says make the things better.

I've been doing a month long research on the perfect 5W-30 motor oil and fliter. I have come to the conclusion the AmsOil is the best all around oil. Second would be Red Line. Red Line actually will unleash a couple horses at first, but will degrade quickly. Red Lines SAE weights are trully the best for full out race or force inducted, but need to be changes sooner than described on the bottle.

On to filters. The is a hard one and I am still working on it. K&N is great for high flow, but not too good for filtetration. My recommendation is leaning toward Mobil 1, Honda OEM Japan series only, and Pure One. Fram tough Guard are good if you change you oil every 3K, but break down easily under high pressure.

There will be more to come about filters when all the research is done. I'm also working on transmission fluids and super coolants.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:28 PM
Fast_Draw
03 Accord Owner

I just had my B-Pass filter set-up installed. I now run 6.5 gts. of oil through the engine - 5W-20 AmsOil, with a HUGE AmsOil by-pass filter (only filters about 10% at a time - not full flow - but gets a LOT - 100 times - smaller particles out) and them a much larger Full Flow AmsOil filter as well. Tecvhnically on this setup they say you don't have to change oil until 7.5K miles - but I'll be changeing oil and full flow filter at every 5K miles - and then by-pass filter every 15K miles.

Basically - I plan to have the cleanest oil running through my car humanly possible - at a reasonable cost. Only ~$300 for the set-up, filters, and install. I'll be running Oil Tests out for dyiagnostics every change - to make sure I'm good. After the factory fill - comes back - I'll post the test results. It should be horrible - but it's supposed to be - with metal particles, etc. to cut into the sides to make normal wear patterns. Now my first 4.5K miles are up, I'm switched to AmsOil - and running Pure.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:56 PM
cjamie

Still though... even synthetic is used, honda engines are still not smooth. I thought the whole point of getting a honda is that it will last regardless... then why bother baby it like a collectable?

I say just get the cheapest stuff and consider maintanence as means to get by then pocket the money for something better down the road...

Besides, I say honda should last 15 years with regular stuff and I would be sick and tired of a car after 15 years... Wth the same maintanence to follow, I really don't see how it make my life easier...