Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt?

Old 06-24-2003, 04:25 AM
jettglx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't want to spend the time and money to repalce a timming belt on a honda or whatever may be causing problmes, Wait untill you have to repair a used Lexus, have fun!
Old 06-24-2003, 04:37 AM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

I wish todaracing made a racing timing belt for the f series motor.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:43 AM
cooliojones

Originally posted by vtecaccord01
I wish todaracing made a racing timing belt for the f series motor.
And what will this do?
Old 06-24-2003, 06:15 AM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

Supposedly made stronger and able to handle more abuse.
www.todaracing.com
Old 06-24-2003, 07:16 AM
hondaman-iac

i really think you are dealing with a bad efi relay or a messed up igniter. i had the belt done at 115k in my accord, and the belt looked like it didn't have to be changed.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:50 AM
AcsRcool
Faster than your Geo

ya know, this is really frustrating to me. Don't mean to be hating at all here, but how ignorant can you be. The engineers who designed your car knew exactly when it had to be maintained and how. If someone who gets paid a lot more money than you do to design an engine and know its limitations to the letter tells you you need to replace the belt at 90k, then you should damn well do it. You think you are gonna get 2 grand for that car?? If i looked at the service history and didnt see a timing belt replacement, I'd walk away and never look back.

And i really don't see how it is you are going to afford a Lexus anything if you can't afford to maintain your accord. The parts are everywhere and very cheap and you cant, or rather WONT pony up the bucks for the necessary stuff just to keep it running.

I think the only person scamming you is you. You have somehow managed to convince yourself that this is not important when it really is in a major way. Like others have said in this thread, accords use interfering engines to get better performance in a smaller and more cost effective package. Only a non-interference engine can have a timing belt failure and be guaranteed to remain intact.

Where will your priorities lie when your car is all ****ed up with a broken timing belt and you can't go anywhere. I'm a poor college student too but I still need to get around. . .
Old 06-24-2003, 12:18 PM
cooliojones

Man not so hard on the guy, he was only asking questions. He didn't know about the interfering engine design of the Accord, and if I heard what he heard on the radio show I would ask some questions too.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:32 PM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah - I don't know exactly what Click&Clack were talking about. Maybe they were discussing a specific car? If somebody called in about a '76 Vega, sure, that's a non-interference engine. So what they said would be true for that car.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:39 PM
Brazos

I had a car long time ago with the same symptons. Problem was the timing belt lost a few notches and slipped a little bit so the timing went to hell.

There is a guy on the radio here who owns a car shop and on his weekly show he offered anyone to call him or email him and he can look up if a certain model engine has valve interference or not. That would be a useful reference

And yes, those boston guys should know better. I hardly ever catch them in a mistake. I bet they were mentioning a specific model.

Cheers.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:42 PM
yardy8301

ask a question and get bashed. wow you guys are really something. meddle i see where you are coming from, apparently everyone else has 500 bux laying around just incase they need to change there timing belt. hopefully it isnt the belt and if it is hopefully you didnt mess anything up.