Notices

88 Accord engine swap questions

Old 05-02-2003, 07:19 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Accord engine swap questions

I have a 1988 Accord LX (auto) that has gone through 6 years of college driving with 3 different drivers. I bought it with 115K miles on it to get me through college and then gave it to my brother and then sister for them to use. Needless to say the car was not very well taken care of but it served it purpose well.

Now the car has over 300K miles (exact mileage is not known since the speedo cable was broken for a couple of months) and hardly runs. The exterior and interior are in decent shape but the motor is really on its last leg. I would like to use this as a daily driver to get back and forth to work in to keep miles off my GSR.

My friend Matt (Slacker) would also be commuting with me so he has offered to donate the engine from his 99 Civic EX (5spd) to the Accord. Is this a worthwhile swap? I know that the guages in the Accords cluster are manual from when I swapped the cable going to the speedo and the guages in his Civic are all automatic. Is there a way to overcome this? Also the Accord is not fuel injected, it has a carbeurator.

If this swap is not feasible what would you suggest? This engine is not going to be modded at all, the car needs to get me from home to work and back again for the next couple of years and that's it.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:50 AM
Funkwheat

I have no idea how easy or possible that'd be, but I just have to say one thing.... 300k miles and still running?... God I love Hondas....
Old 05-02-2003, 10:27 AM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

Go to www.accordracing.com There is suppose to be a message board specifcally for that year accord.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:00 PM
95AccordEXR

no, go to 3geez.com your one stop info source for 3rd gens.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:05 PM
Lx-i

Well you can swap out your a20a1 and put a a20a3 120 hp fi 88-89 accord engine in it for under 500 bucks probably, but you would have to convert it to efi and a few more things, i hope you know what you're doing.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:33 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

I hope I know what I am doing as well

I found that site 3geez and they have a lot of usefull information. It appears I can get an engine mount kit and the 1st gen b16 will drop right in and will work with only switching 4 pins at the ecu. My only concern is still switching this to efi since the current engine is carbeurated...but there is someone on 3geez that switched his a20a1 over to efi.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:17 PM
jballou

If you look, there is a list on what you need to swap over to an EFI set-up. A few things off the top of my head that you need:

Main Wiring harness
Main fuse box
Main Circuit box
Fuel pump
possibly the fuel injected fuel tank
ECU
There are a few other electronic parts as well. The best bet is to buy a junk fuel injected accord for around $500 and strip all the EFI parts out of it.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:33 AM
srvthsdk

Default 88 accord engine swap

can you point me to any other info concerning this engine swap...any help appreciated

srv
srvthsdk@yahoo.com

tj

Originally Posted by jballou
If you look, there is a list on what you need to swap over to an EFI set-up. A few things off the top of my head that you need:

Main Wiring harness
Main fuse box
Main Circuit box
Fuel pump
possibly the fuel injected fuel tank
ECU
There are a few other electronic parts as well. The best bet is to buy a junk fuel injected accord for around $500 and strip all the EFI parts out of it.