View Single Post
Old 05-02-2003, 07:19 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Accord engine swap questions

I have a 1988 Accord LX (auto) that has gone through 6 years of college driving with 3 different drivers. I bought it with 115K miles on it to get me through college and then gave it to my brother and then sister for them to use. Needless to say the car was not very well taken care of but it served it purpose well.

Now the car has over 300K miles (exact mileage is not known since the speedo cable was broken for a couple of months) and hardly runs. The exterior and interior are in decent shape but the motor is really on its last leg. I would like to use this as a daily driver to get back and forth to work in to keep miles off my GSR.

My friend Matt (Slacker) would also be commuting with me so he has offered to donate the engine from his 99 Civic EX (5spd) to the Accord. Is this a worthwhile swap? I know that the guages in the Accords cluster are manual from when I swapped the cable going to the speedo and the guages in his Civic are all automatic. Is there a way to overcome this? Also the Accord is not fuel injected, it has a carbeurator.

If this swap is not feasible what would you suggest? This engine is not going to be modded at all, the car needs to get me from home to work and back again for the next couple of years and that's it.

Thanks for the help in advance.