Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove the '03 Accord Coupe EX V6 6MT (Writeup)

Old 04-09-2003, 05:25 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And it's because of people like you who justify a rediculous markup that dealers feel they can do it and consider it fair. Sticker price is set by the mfg. and in that price is plenty of built in profit for the dealer and the mfg. Even a dime more markup is strictly dealer profit, ripping off people to take advantage of a situation to fatten their pockets. Which is the biggest reason to get rid of commission sales and go to strictly hourly or salary. I hate salesmen, always have, always will. What is even worse is commission sales. Get rid of it. I work in an environment which used to be commission and we switched to hourly about 4 years ago. Not only am I happier, but our productivity is 10 fold what it was on commission. Sure, the company profits some more, but our charges are more in line with what they should be. We can be fair with our customers, patient, and we earn their respect much easier just because the pressure is no longer present.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:51 PM
bdwinkler

The way I see it, the dealer is at your mercy. You make the decision how much you want to pay for that car. As much as I hate it, no one pays the same price for the same car. Find what the dealer actually paid for the car, this usually takes paying a small fee $10-20. Take that add a reasonable commission/overhead cost, tax, title, and tag charges and present that to the sales manager. Walk away if they won't bargain, because there is someone out there that wants your business. Be firm with your offer too, don't let them walk all over you with the hidden fees, extra add-on's and crap.

Buy smart, don't pay sticker. Just my $0.02.
Old 04-19-2003, 05:48 AM
cooliojones

Originally posted by bdwinkler
The way I see it, the dealer is at your mercy. You make the decision how much you want to pay for that car. As much as I hate it, no one pays the same price for the same car. Find what the dealer actually paid for the car, this usually takes paying a small fee $10-20. Take that add a reasonable commission/overhead cost, tax, title, and tag charges and present that to the sales manager. Walk away if they won't bargain, because there is someone out there that wants your business. Be firm with your offer too, don't let them walk all over you with the hidden fees, extra add-on's and crap.
OK so just what is a good profit for the dealer? $1-2k? Some of them like to use their salesmen tricks when you go in talking about you know what they paid for the car, invoice price, dealer markup, stuff like that. I'm thinking carsdirect.com might still be the best way to get the lowest price on a car because they do all the research and work out a fair deal between you and the dealer.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:31 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

If you can find the truthfull, actual dealer cost, you figure $500.00 -$800.00 over would be fair. No more than $1000.00. So if the Accord 6x6 has an MSRP of 26,300 (this is just a rough estimate -- I don't know actual figures other than MSRP), and you find that dealer cost is 23,000, I would not pay more than 24,000 for the car. My Prelude stickered for 23,900 in 2000. I found that cost was 20,780 and I paid 21,500 + tax. Patience is a big plus. I started looking in June of 1999, and could not find this color. So when the 2000's started rolling in, I told them this is what I'd pay. They first said they could give me a 1999 model for that price but not a 2000. Three times I told them you have my phone # if you want to make a deal. Third time was a charm. On a cold snowy Sunday five minutes before close in Dec. of 1999. Play the game. You'll win eventually.
Old 04-20-2003, 05:03 AM
BigB2k3

Its easy to buy a car when you KNOW how much you want to pay for your car...

Like I got my v6 03 accord sd for $25775 out the door final price, but I told them I am NOT going higher, first dealer blew me off, 2nd dealer seemed very happy to do it...
Then I got them to send me a $100 check so really $25675...

MSRP is $25800 on the car, so I guess I did OKAY for a first time buyer didnt I?
Old 04-20-2003, 08:05 AM
Dunbar

I don't think the 6 speeds are selling well with this ridiculous markup. My closest dealer lists their non-navi 6 speed at $30k ($3500 markup.) They've had it on the lot for a month now. Been meaning to get over there and drive it. Later this year I think $25k will be possible on the 6 speeds and at that price it's a good deal.