Notices

Notorious problems with the 6th gen. Accords, post them here...

Old 03-27-2003, 12:34 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 140k combined miles on the two 6th gen Accord V6's I've owned, and only problems were two clock light bulbs and an EGR on my old accord. That was around $200, but the dealership got Honda to pay for half because it went so soon (at like 40k).
Old 03-27-2003, 01:45 PM
SaviouR
The Unknown One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Notorious problems with the 6th gen. Accords, post them here...

Originally posted by VRGNCD5
wow, I wish my dad was buying my car and felt a 98 was old did you have a blonde moment on the second sentence?

"Like*twiddling hair*I don't visit HAN for no reason*blows bubble*"
That was sarcasm.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:52 PM
accord_vti

Originally posted by Kingseth2
I have had those same problems. But I just attribute them to being minor bugs or annoyances. The shaking at start and cut-off is interesting itself. I thought I was the only one. Anyway the car still drives great and I am fortunate that I have such a new car anyway...I dunno I'm rambling here but I just wanted to say 1) you're not alone and 2) I don't think there is anything that can be done about these problems

P.S. I also have a 98 LX 5-Speed
Uh Oh....better keep an eye on that tranny, it could be next...hehehehe

I guess it makes me feel somewhat more comfortable knowing that I'm not the only one here with some of those problems. Too bad nothing can be done about these problems....makes me sad sometimes to see my car like that.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:03 PM
y2ksignetex
MAKDADDY

2000 Honda Accord EX V6 with leather
47,000 original miles and counting

My annoying problems:
- Rattle in the moonroof when partially open. I've seen other posts on this before. Honda usu fixes it cheap w/ some lube. This started at around 30k mi
- Rear camber very difficult to straighten out when lowered. Camber kits usu fixes that.
- Clock bulb out @ 25 k miles. Replaced under warranty.
- Cupholder cover doesn't stay covered. The clip broke and I don't want to spend $$ on it. I just put an air freshener in it and I'm good to go.
- In need of either a hi-cap alternator or stronger battery due to f****** AEM pulleys. Don't want to take it out.....

My fuel gauge warning light doesn't light up when close to empty anymore. I brought it into Honda once and they said that they won't check it unless it's partially empty. Tough to do since I usu fill it up around 1/8 left.

That's it for now. Just the "normal" old car hangups.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:27 PM
cjamie

Default get an IS300, cheap ticket for a 3.0 engine and some decent service...

or A4 1.8T also should be good...audi pays for all service in the first 4 years, and is pretty cheap...you don't need to get quattro though...since you already are considering a front drive to begin with...you will be amazed of how much more you can get with 5K on a car...

I didn't have too much luck with my wife's Accord so I am not a firm believer of Honda reliability/durability...
Old 03-28-2003, 11:03 PM
Kabuki

Default Problems

We have seen a few power door lock actuators go out. The alternators on V6's are made by Delphi (not Denso ) and are apt to fail with wierd symptoms like the radio going out, and the head lights, but it still charges the battery fine....

My 98 I4 LX has 136K, and runs/drives great. The only thing we've had a problem with is the clock light

Kabuki
Old 03-28-2003, 11:33 PM
JonHsiung
u c l a

Originally posted by y2ksignetex
- In need of either a hi-cap alternator or stronger battery due to f****** AEM pulleys. Don't want to take it out.....
i have the high-output alternator and i am pleased with it. unfortunately, you have to change to a new stock drive belt. it's complicated, but it uses a smaller pulley and a stretched, used belt doesn't work for it or else it'll sound like a banshee
Old 03-30-2003, 08:35 AM
AcuraFanatic

My only problem has been my damn throwout bearing which squeals upon launch (letting out the clutch). That's been a pain in the ass to live with.

I attribute it to the previous owner being a dumbass however.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:38 AM
Fryd_Up
rebmeM roineS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my clock light is out so far... 62k miles... happened when i took the dash off to install a new headunit. Also my fuel gauge flutuates every so often, last night i put 20 bucks in it and it was close to full, later that night (20-30 miles) it was down to 3/4 tank, then it went back up to close to full, now its sitting just above 1/2 a tank. (50 miles). My friends mom has a odyssey it it does the same thing.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:23 PM
green2dr

Default Re: Re: Notorious problems with the 6th gen. Accords, post them here...

Originally posted by VRGNCD5
a 6th gen accord is an "old car"?
hmm thats what im saying....... lucky you. your gonna get a brand new car