Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Credit App to Test Drive?!

Old 03-16-2003, 05:44 AM
cooliojones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Credit App to Test Drive?!

How is this one for crazy. I went to a dealership yesterday to test drive the AV6 6-speed so I can show my girlfriend the power and everything. Well we get there and I ask do they have the 6-speed there and everyone looks @ me and asks "6-speed what?" Now maybe I need to be clued in but I thought the only car Honda makes in a 6 speed is the Accord V-6 Coupe? Civic? Pilot? Element? Odyssey?? (lol) None of them should have it, so they are losing points with me on that one.

Anyway, then they guy goes and he is looking through all the cars for one, and of course when he can't find it he tries to switch me to one of the other Accords. He sees that I am insistent, and then he "remembers" that the one I am talking about is in the showroom. So then we go look @ the car and I am really feeling this one because it was the first one I have seen with a body kit. $2000 price tag though, and the dealership has added on it's own options to bring the price up to 36k (reminded me of the dealership in Floriday trying to sell theirs on eBay -- but no "Touch of Class" here). It was MSRP plus visor, custom wheels (18's & tires, $4k) preferred package and all that other bull.

Getting to the point, when he gets the keys and tries to get someone to take it out of the showroom for the test drive, he comes back and says that the manager is requiring people to fill out a credit app to see if they qualify for the car?! We were like wtf?? He said they had a bad experience w/ someone who took the car out and "blew the cluth" doing 120 on the highway. Well too bad for them if they didn't ride in the car w/ the dude but who da hell is gonna go for that? And then they said if you don't wualify you can still test drive the car?? This is my first time running into anything like this, never heard of it and I've driven BMW's, Acuras, Mitsubishi's, etc. By the way this dealership is in Atlanta (well, Morrow) called South Honda, peeps here should know what I'm talking about.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:50 AM
Matt86
vtec ownz j00

:bs: that is rediculous. but for 36,000 i'd have a fully loaded lexus IS300 or a bimmer... not a honda accord
Old 03-16-2003, 05:56 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They were most likely trying to avoid having to roll it out the showroom if you weren't serious about buying it.

Its a new Honda on the market and they know every kid on the block is gonna try to roll it around at least once, and thats how they cut it down a bit.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:12 AM
smakdown

I wouldn't trust that dealer, ive never heard of any kind of dealership that needs a credit approval for a test drive EXCEPT for lamborghini, ferrari, bently, and maybe the expenisve porches but thats it.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:22 AM
jschmid

Originally posted by Nightshade
They were most likely trying to avoid having to roll it out the showroom if you weren't serious about buying it.

Its a new Honda on the market and they know every kid on the block is gonna try to roll it around at least once, and thats how they cut it down a bit.
:werd:

I'd do the same if I was the dealer.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:53 AM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

Originally posted by jschmid

I'd do the same if I was the dealer.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:08 PM
cwa107

This reminds me of the time I tried to test drive a Probe GT. At the time, I was 19 years old, in college and driving an 89 4-banger Probe with nearly 200K on the odo. I was seriously considering it and not just looking for a joyride.

Well, the dealer saw me coming and immediately said that I'd have to put a DEPOSIT on the car before they would let me drive it. However, I (of course) took a different approach than you did... I walked out and never came back. That's just ridiculous! When you're shopping for a car, just as when you're shopping for anything, you should be able to see if you like it first. Any dealer who has policies like this doesn't want to sell cars... you're almost certainly going to pay sticker price.

Frankly, there's too many Honda dealers out there for you to shop to bother with these morons. Honda dealers know they're only allotted one 6-speed Accord coupe, if they played dumb, then they profiled you coming in the door and certainly don't care about your business.

My advice... take it elsewhere and make sure your friends and coworkers do too.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:54 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you pay $36,000 for a damn Accord anyway? You shoulda walked outta the showroom then and there. You can get a damn 330Ci for that money.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:58 PM
DownLowAcc
Keepin it Simple

thats baloney, that sales guy must have been new or just wanted to hassle you cause he didnt want to let you drive it. Thats BS, either he was really trying to talk you out of getting you to test drive the car or he was really behind on his quota for the month and by filling that app out he can get a headstart on the paperwork. the sales manager had a LOT to do with that BS probly, (hes probly an ass anyway).
Old 03-16-2003, 09:16 PM
MikesCommuter
As the ACCORD TURNS!

Originally posted by 98CoupeV6
Why would you pay $36,000 for a damn Accord anyway? You shoulda walked outta the showroom then and there. You can get a damn 330Ci for that money.

or one of
THESE

:thumbup: