Notices

Honda Accord LX Sudden Loss of Power

Old 12-20-2009, 05:01 PM
prodgerson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Accord LX Sudden Loss of Power

I have an issue with my 1989 Honda Accord LX. Twice now when I drive the Honda (in the morning when it’s cold about five miles the engine just stops running.) I am able to pull it off to the side off the road and it starts back up right away. The problem does not happen after that. I just had the alternator checked and it was ok.

Does anyone have an idea why this might be happening?

Pete Rodgerson
Old 12-22-2009, 10:43 PM
daanno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possibly a simple fix

If I'm correct the 98 accord was a carborated engine. If so, I would check the air intake heater pipe. It's usually silver, flexible foil type hose that goes from the bottom of the breather to the exhaust manifold. It's used to suck in warm air from around the exhaust manifold. In cold weather (33 -36 degrees) if this pipe is not present then the carb will freeze up. There is some really cool physics involved. Air that has not yet reached freezing will still have some moisture. As it is sucked into the carb the venturies compress the air making it warmer and causing condensation. As the air exits the venturies it is decompressed so it atomizes the fuel better but at the same time (because of the expansion) the temp drops (below freezing) causing the moisture to freeze and stalling or impeding the engine. Pulling over to the side of the road for a minute or two is enough to allow the engine heat to melt the ice and you are on your way.:awais: It can be frustrating to troubleshoot because it only happens at temps slightly above freezing and the car starts back up like nothing happened. This is a very simple explanation of the physics but I'm sure you get the point. If your heater pipe is missing or torn it would certainly cause this. Replacements are less then $5.00 at any auto parts place.

Hope this helps
dan