Notices

90 Accord oil light flashing

Old 05-25-2008, 02:52 AM
svt4cam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 Accord oil light flashing

Greetings all, I am new here and have a 90 accord DX manual trans, with 280,000 something miles. Doesn't use much oil and runs quite well. I was driving home the other day and upon average acceleration the oil light starting rythmically flashing. I immediately pulled over and shut it down, and having checked the oil that morning knew it had plenty. Upon restarting it the light was off. I drove for several miles and it did it again at approx 40 mph. I pushed in the clutch and turned it off and restarted on the fly and it again extingushed the light. It did the same one more time on the trip home (about 20 miles of freeway and 50 mph road.) Engine is as quiet as can be so I don't think it has oil pressure issues, also this is not happening at idle when the pressure would be lowest. So I stopped at the local Honda emporium and picked up the sensor for the back of the motor, and herein lies my question. Since there is no seal, gasket etc on this and using teflon tape would probably mess up the ground, How is the sensor supposed to not leak oil from the threads? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 05-28-2008, 02:01 AM
svt4cam

Just for future searches a little blue permatex seems to have done it. Sensor fixed the problem so Hopefully I'll see 1,000,000 miles on this puppy.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:23 PM
daanno

Default threads

the oil pressure sending unit uses a thread standard called NPT (National Pipe Thread). This thread is designed to get tighter as you tighten it. The thread pitch changes as you move down the shaft. Like screwing a pipe into an elbow or coupling. It is different from the threads you would find on a nut and bolt where the nut continues to turn until until there are no more threads.

hope someone can use this

dan