Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03+ accord 2d trunk mount bike rack: yay or nay?

Old 04-08-2008, 08:48 PM
mikelovesdrivin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03+ accord 2d trunk mount bike rack: yay or nay?

hey everyone, i have a 2005 accord ex coupe. i just bought a bike and want to ride the boardwalk this summer, but the bike barely fits in the trunk with the seats down. so my question is...

does anyone have any experience with a trunk-mounted bike rack for a 03+ accord coupe? if yes, does it damage the trunk or paint? what brands are durable?

my car is also a 5spd with eibach prokit, front upper strut bar, and rear sway bar. it's pretty stiff. Thank you for your posts.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:16 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Quite a few moderators are bike enthusiasts. I'll ask them to chime in.

BRB.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:36 AM
reno96teg

we had a factory rack to work with, but for the bike trays, we went with rockymounts.

they're solid, not too expensive, and look good, imo.

here's my thread on them from last summer (sorry, pics are gone): https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=274519
Old 04-10-2008, 11:45 AM
b00gers

There are many different ways to mount bike. Roof racks and hitches are awesome because they are very sturdy. But they are almost permanent on the car and is expensive. Trunk racks are another option. They are less expensive ($120-150) but are less sturdy than the other options. But that is not to say they arent good.

I have a Saris Bones 3 Bike rack on my Integra sedan...which has a similar trunk to yours. It is a great rack. The design works well for trunks like ours and is strong and sturdy. The only problem I have is that it comes with weak plastic nuts. They become a problem when you over torque them.

The sturdiness of the rack depends on how well your adjust the straps and angle the legs. You will probably spend a good 30-45 mins playing with it for the first time. But after everything is adjusted, it takes about 7 mins for me to put the bike on my trunk.

The rack comes with rubber feet. If your car is dirty, it WILL scratch the clear coat. When you set the feet on the paint, the feet will move and rub on the paint as just adjust the straps. What I would suggest doing is getting a roll of car masking tape (whatever tape that is easy to remove from paint)...making sure you clean the area you are going to put the tape on...then putting the feet of the rack over the tape.

PM me if you have questions
Old 04-10-2008, 01:05 PM
b00gers

Oh in terms of damaging the panels, just be careful and smart about how to angle the legs. You want the weight distributed well. And of course when you have a multibike rack and only have one bike, use the straps closest to the car. And be sure you bungee cord the front wheel to the frame so it doesnt swing and hit the car. And on long rides, try to keep the tires away from the muffler. THere are stories of the exhaust burning the tires.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:46 AM
luckybays

IMO just put it in trunk. just cover up the carpet to keep it clean....