Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help from a Car Audio Enthusiast/Expert...

Old 03-10-2008, 05:34 PM
PlayU18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help from a Car Audio Enthusiast/Expert...

Hello,

O.K. so this is my first post, but I didn't know where else to look, so I thought I would ask a couple of very "rookie" type questions regarding car audio.

My story - I recently purchased a 2007 Accord EX-L V6 Non-Navi (former 2004 Maxima SL owner) and I have changed a few things to "upgrade" the car to what I like and make it my own. One thing I am having trouble with is the audio system. I haven't purchased aftermarket audio components in probably 15 years, so all of the current stuff confuses me, probably becuase I don't know what it is. My Maxima's stereo was just fine for me, and now that I am in the Accord, I miss the Maxima's stereo. I have purchased and installed the Infinity Kappa's for the front and the rear (with stock head unit and no amp), but it still seems to lack the true "bass" sound from the Maxima's Bose set-up. The Kappas were a recommendation from a few sources, and while they are certainly better than the stock speakers as far as clarity goes, I would still like truer "bass" sound when it is turned up a bit. I am 34, married, and have two kids (including two car seats), so I am by no means looking for some big loud stereo. But when I am in the car by myself (which isn't too often), I like to turn up my music and enjoy it.

Finally, my questions - With the current set-up that I have as described above, is there a way to get the sound that I am hoping for without adding a subwoofer or any other type of speakers (and no I don't want the Infinity basslink either - basically no additional speakers at all)? If an amp is installed, would that do it? I have always thought that an amp simply made it so that you didn't have to turn up your stereo quite as loud to get a louder sound. Basically, right now when I turn up the stereo to say 25 or 26 on the stock head unit, it is plenty loud for what I want, but the bass starts to get distorted or "punchy" sounding. Is that the speakers or is that because I don't have an amp? Also, my wife will kill me if she sees an amp, so if an amp is the solution to my problem, are there any recommendations for an inexpensive smaller sized one that would do what I want, and where can I hide it in the car?

Sorry for the long first post, but I am hoping a car audio "expert" will see this and offer a recommendation or two. Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:26 PM
crasdh67256

without a sub its going to be hard to get that bass. most after market speakers will do for you is add clarity with greater vocals. the bass is meant to come from a sub. as far as the amp goes the amp will just make the sound of the speakers cleaner and be able to draw the right power it will not add much bass if any at all. the best way to get that bass at high levels of volume is to add a small sub nothing big like a kicker cvr 10" or 12" either one will work
Old 03-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Tedmond

well you asked the right question for a guy like me. Well the infinity speakers are lacking MAJOR power. Those are rated if i remember for minimal 60watts RMS. Your stock deck does not come even close. So to get the most out of those speakers, you will be adding an amp. Throw the amp under the passenger seat. Go for a good one like blaupunkt, alpine, pioneer, etc. get one that is 400x4 or 200 is even fine. but yes you are lacking power to your speakers. if you grab a 400.4 you should wire it to power 4 speakers and a small 10 inch sub. cheap 10inch subs include fosgate P1 or even kicker comp VR. they should run you 120 bucks with box.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:37 PM
PlayU18

Thanks a million for the input guys. I figured that I would need a sub for the bass sound that I am lacking/looking for, but I thought I would ask (with my fingers crossed) to see if there was another solution. I guess I will just have to live with the stereo that way that it is with maybe a small amp added later. Unfortunately there is no way of hiding a sub box from my wife . Outside of that, I like the Accord. Seems like a great car so far. I have enjoyed adding the small "upgrades" that make it a little different than the other 4000 Accords that I drive by each day.

Thanks again.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:23 PM
PlayU18

While I am asking questions, I guess I should ask if either of you have any suggestions on an inexpensive 200.4 (or 400.4) amp that would be worth buying? Brand names and model #'s would be helpful as I have no idea what I am looking for. Once again, thanks!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 06:32 AM
jonnyfive

Ive got a sony xplode amp that is 250x2 max. I would ask like $35 for the thing. PM if you wanna talk. I dont use it. Its in a box. As for your Kappas, did you throw just the fronts in or replace the 6x9s as well? A good replacement for a big box with a big sub these guys are suggesting is a bazooka tube. The subs these guys suggested will require a seperate amp pusing a couple hundred watts rms. Getting a 10 or 12 will take up a bit of your trunk, as well as, like stated, require a 300 watt rms amp. Most Bazookas you can get with a built in amp and the supply 300 watts max. Thats not comp standards, but it WILL give you EXACTALLY what you want, in a small package to boot!. The come in 8, 10 and 12 inch applications. IMO, Kicker Comps or anything like that is too much for a little extra bass. I used to do installs. With the honda's structur and design, a bazooka will add just enouch "punch"
http://www.sasbazooka.com/productAutoAmplifiedBTs.asp
^check em out
j0nnyf1v3
PS.. i dont agree with getting a 400x4 amp and wiring 5 speakers to it as stated by tedmond...Stand a chance of ruining speakers or sparking somthing up.. It happened to a friend of mine. Luckly we smelt it before damage was done.

Last edited by jonnyfive; 03-11-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:01 PM
dleccord

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298561
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298230

Originally Posted by jonnyfive
Ive got a sony xplode amp that is 250x2 max. I would ask like $35 for the thing. PM if you wanna talk. I dont use it. Its in a box. As for your Kappas, did you throw just the fronts in or replace the 6x9s as well? A good replacement for a big box with a big sub these guys are suggesting is a bazooka tube. The subs these guys suggested will require a seperate amp pusing a couple hundred watts rms. Getting a 10 or 12 will take up a bit of your trunk, as well as, like stated, require a 300 watt rms amp. Most Bazookas you can get with a built in amp and the supply 300 watts max. Thats not comp standards, but it WILL give you EXACTALLY what you want, in a small package to boot!. The come in 8, 10 and 12 inch applications. IMO, Kicker Comps or anything like that is too much for a little extra bass. I used to do installs. With the honda's structur and design, a bazooka will add just enouch "punch"
http://www.sasbazooka.com/productAutoAmplifiedBTs.asp
^check em out
j0nnyf1v3
PS.. i dont agree with getting a 400x4 amp and wiring 5 speakers to it as stated by tedmond...Stand a chance of ruining speakers or sparking somthing up.. It happened to a friend of mine. Luckly we smelt it before damage was done.
why do you insist on using the max wattages? be serious for crying out loud.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:25 PM
jonnyfive

Originally Posted by dleccord
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298561
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298230

why do you insist on using the max wattages? be serious for crying out loud.
I dont know what you mean by this, for the sake of not hijacking this thread. No where in my statement did I say run Max wattages. The only statement I said that included the 2 words, MAX and WATT was 300MAX watts with bazooka as an understantment to the fact that most systems in hondas today are 3000 watts... So it was to state that 300 isnt much and will do him perfect for what he wants. And I would highly doubt he would peak 300 with the setup he wants.
Soo....... Whats the problem??
Old 03-11-2008, 12:27 PM
dleccord

MAX IS MAX. dont deny it.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:42 PM
flyromeo3

if anything get a hi-low converter.
Tap that from the rear speakers which will gain you RCA output.
Connect that output to a mono amp ( 1 channel amp ) to a subwoofer.

You can even pick up one of those Infiniti bass-link and use that as a sub.
I have my factory radio in my audi with a 10' sas tube and its more the enough for me ( well soon will replace the stock tape deck unit with a more up to date one )

if you need Ideas PM me.