Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Accord Transmission

Old 02-05-2008, 07:04 AM
aguntook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Accord Transmission

My Accord (2000 Accord 4 Cyl SE, 114K) is having some weird issues with transmission. I am the only owner and always maintained per mfg recommendations. Couple of weeks back my wife noticed D4 indicator flashing on the dash board and MIL came up. I diagnosed myself, got a 'P0708 Shift Malfunction'. Since I can't fix it myself I took to the dealership. They came up with the same code but said it may be a computer malfunction and erased the MIL code. I thought my wife's driving habits has to do something and thanked god for dodging a transmission replacement. Stupid me, it came back in 2 weeks. This time I was the driver. I started off with a cold engine, rolled out of my driveway and it happened. D4 started flashing, MIL came up. The car wouldn't speed up as I press the gas. Feels like keeping it on Neutral and pressing the gas. The RPM goes up and then suddenly it gets it gear with a thud. It smoothes out as I go over 30 mph and over.

I took it back to the dealership on last Saturday. This time they said I am looking at a transmission replacement. They couldn’t give me the quote right away (but I am expecting it soon). Surprisingly, when I drove back from dealership, I did not feel the same (even on 1st/2nd gear). It drove pretty smooth. Yesterday, I drove around 20 miles and every time I start from a stop or red light the car refuses to pick up and I feel the same. After driving for a while, I went to gym and spent around an hour there. Funnily, when I started back everything was fine as if there is no problem with transmission or pickup. Could it be something related to the heating/temperature, expanding of some metal? Or this is a symptom of solenoid going bad?

I have read a lot stories about this issue. But yet to find the reason and cure to it. Can this be fixed without replacing the entire transmission? If not, would new transmission be guaranteed on this one? By reading, it seems to be an issue of entire 98-02 generation of Accords.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:07 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What were the symptoms prior to this? A transmission just doesn't stop working correctly overnight, you would have noticed slipping or hesitation for many thousands of miles.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:53 AM
lvalles

Default 2000 accord tranny issue

I have the same model accord 2000 SE sedan and was getting the same issue but the car only had about 37K miles on it. I took it to Honda dealer which also had issue a recall notice on thissee link below)
http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/mainten...ns%2FL72%2Ehtm

they had to replace the entire tranny...No Charge

Please refer to this notice to Honda.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:35 AM
aguntook

Default 2000 Accord Transmission

Some other post indicates main carrier bearing is wearing out prematurely. And yes, this happened suddenly. Even if there were indications it was too difficult to detect. As i mentioned earlier, you wouldn't feel the issue once you drive around 10 miles, make a stop for sometime (I am yet to figure out min. time but an hour works) and restart. Got a quote of $4K to replace the tranny with a warranty of 36K/3yr with a reconditioned one from dealer. I yet to decide if I will spend those dollars on this one. Could anyone suggest if any particular year of 98-02 models DO NOT have this isssue?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:36 AM
aguntook

Thanks Ivalles. I will try but mine is over 7yr/115K miles.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:07 AM
losiglow

Originally Posted by aguntook
Some other post indicates main carrier bearing is wearing out prematurely. And yes, this happened suddenly. Even if there were indications it was too difficult to detect. As i mentioned earlier, you wouldn't feel the issue once you drive around 10 miles, make a stop for sometime (I am yet to figure out min. time but an hour works) and restart. Got a quote of $4K to replace the tranny with a warranty of 36K/3yr with a reconditioned one from dealer. I yet to decide if I will spend those dollars on this one. Could anyone suggest if any particular year of 98-02 models DO NOT have this isssue?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm certain they corrected the auto tranny problems in the 01-02 models. The '00 models were a 50/50 sort of thing if I'm correct. Some have had problems while others haven't. I would really think twice about dropping 4K into a vehicle that is probably only worth 7K at the most. If you were going to spend that kind of money I'd sell the car and get something newer.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:13 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by losiglow
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm certain they corrected the auto tranny problems in the 01-02 models. The '00 models were a 50/50 sort of thing if I'm correct. Some have had problems while others haven't. I would really think twice about dropping 4K into a vehicle that is probably only worth 7K at the most. If you were going to spend that kind of money I'd sell the car and get something newer.
nope...my friend has an 01 v6 and already had his tranny replaced twice.
my 02 accord before its premature death was experiencing the same shifting issues for like 50k miles. I really didnt care and just left it as is.
btw..my 02 was a 4cyl,,...which honda claims the problem doesnt exist with that model....b.s
Old 02-06-2008, 09:14 AM
TL-Super

Check directly with Honda America, see if they'll do it as a "goodwill" gesture in spite of years/miles. All they can do is say no, right? My Acura 5AT was replaced at 60 k miles and now have 110K miles, runs perfect. I drive it pretty easy.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:30 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to replace the tranny, there's no way around it. You can either do that or trade the car in for something else.

When I replaced mine I found a used one with 30k miles for $700 and had a friend install it for $300.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:32 AM
losiglow

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
nope...my friend has an 01 v6 and already had his tranny replaced twice.
my 02 accord before its premature death was experiencing the same shifting issues for like 50k miles. I really didnt care and just left it as is.
btw..my 02 was a 4cyl,,...which honda claims the problem doesnt exist with that model....b.s
Well, I stand corrected then. Guess all 6th gen autos are garbage. Boy, Honda really dropped the ball on that one didn't they.