Notices

Did the seafoam thing

Old 10-23-2007, 04:10 PM
losiglow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did the seafoam thing

So I was at autozone this weekend picking up a case of oil when I spotted the seafoam on the chemical aisle. Reading about what others on the board have said about it I figured I'd give it a try for $5. 1/3 in the tank, 1/3 in the crankcase and 1/3 through the PVC valve. I Let it sit for 5 minutes then started it up. At first it wasn't too smoky, but then I reved the engine a bit and wow, it filled the garage in no time. After opening the back door to hopefully air it out a bit I went for a drive. Took two loops around the block and smoked the whole neighborhood out. It was actually quite fun . I think I'll wait 500 miles or so to change the oil. I didn't notice a color change in the oil like some have said when they have a dirty engine. I haven't noticed a difference it how it runs either, but it ran just fine before so I didn't expect anything drastic. We'll see how the MPG's measure up.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:23 PM
azn1028

think you may want to change the oil right after, dont wait for the 500 miles.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:32 PM
losiglow

Originally Posted by azn1028
think you may want to change the oil right after, dont wait for the 500 miles.
Might be a good idea. I've gone 100 miles and the oil is slightly darker, about what it looks like at 2K miles. I'll probably change it tonight. I've noticed significanlty less of the "clickity-clackity" that I'm used to with the F23. I've always wondered about that but everyone says it's normal. Even after a valve adjustment it sounded the same. It's still there but much quieter when the engine is cold. My mileage was the same, 33 mpg, but I added the seafoam in the middle of the tank so it's not really going to be accurate until the next fillup. It seems like I've noticed a bit more power, especially at the lower RPM's (which of course Honda isn't a winner in). I'm finding I don't need to downshift at typical places that I used to. Maybe a few ponies were freed up with the treatment, but it could very well be psycological since I was expecting a difference.

A quick question for anyone who's used this stuff though; is it a good idea to try to run another 1/3 pint through the throttle body if you got a lot of smoke the first time? Is there supossed to be less smoke when you clean it out or will you see a lot regardless? With as much as I saw the first time it makes me think maybe I didn't get it all. But if it's the seafoam causing the smoke and not the carbon buildup then I suppose there's no point in doing it again.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:10 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change oil immediately. Also might be a good idea to change or at least inspect the spark plugs.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:08 PM
losiglow

Changed the oil and filter and got new plugs. It's been 50K miles since they were changed anyways (the plugs that is...). The engine was in good shape to start so I don't know that I'll notice a huge difference, but valve noise has been significantly reduced. I'll definitely be sold if mpg's are affected. We'll see. How about the O2 sensor? Is it "cleanable"? Is it worth removing and cleaning it or should I just leave it alone? The plugs didn't have any noticeable buildup so I'm not sure the sensor will be much different.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:45 PM
buddhabus
Honda Lover

Originally Posted by losiglow
Changed the oil and filter and got new plugs. It's been 50K miles since they were changed anyways (the plugs that is...). The engine was in good shape to start so I don't know that I'll notice a huge difference, but valve noise has been significantly reduced. I'll definitely be sold if mpg's are affected. We'll see. How about the O2 sensor? Is it "cleanable"? Is it worth removing and cleaning it or should I just leave it alone? The plugs didn't have any noticeable buildup so I'm not sure the sensor will be much different.
02 sensors are not cleanable. If its bad its better to replace it. SEAFOAM did a lot of good things for my accord too , it drives with more power and smoother.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:44 PM
losiglow

Originally Posted by buddhabus
02 sensors are not cleanable. If its bad its better to replace it. SEAFOAM did a lot of good things for my accord too , it drives with more power and smoother.
Sounds good. I'll just leave it alone unless I get a CEL or whatever. BTW, when replacing plugs, should I stick to the stock NGK's or try some of those Iridium NGK's? Same part number but with an "x" at the end.