Notices

Stupid emissions

Old 08-04-2007, 12:23 PM
ChrisBrown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid emissions

I'm sure this had to happen at some point. Engine light came on as I was driving down the freeway at speed in a storm. Dealership reads the codes, and my catalytic converter and my O2 sensor went.

That was expensive. Grrrrrrr
Old 08-04-2007, 01:04 PM
nspec_Cd5

just change ur o2 sensor first. ur catalyic shouldn't go out so fast.
buy a generic one from ebay for about $50 and hook it up urself.

if you can't do it then take it to a local mechanic shop and have him do it. it'll probably cost u about $200+, just to change the o2 sensor. do that and i think that should be enough.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:06 PM
foot

I would at least hope that they checked your emissions before giving the car back to you. Catalytic converters can get ruined by poorly running engines. So can oxygen sensors.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:08 AM
ChrisBrown

Last year I did a full checkup on the engine: that included new spark plugs, full de-carb, and I think I had a timing belt changed earlier in the year at 120K miles. The engine has been running smoothly with full power. I just keep wondering when my clutch is going to go...

Arrowhead Honda has always been fair with me. That catalytic converter was the most expensive part I've seen. The Honda oem part discounted off of retail was $500. The O2 sensor was just over $100. I'm paranoid about getting non-Honda parts, especially now that the car is just over 10 years old.

Besides, I don't have any experience on under-car work. I do my brakes and rotors, but I've never ventured under the car before.