Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 accord transmission finally slipping

Old 05-12-2007, 11:25 AM
oholdeno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 accord transmission finally slipping

Well my transmission is finally slipping after all this time. i've got 156k miles on my 98 accord v6. coincidentally my gf's dad has been driving my car too so i don't know how much care he's put into driving my car (that's a whole other story).

If you've got 2g to spend because u can't afford buying another used car, do you think a rebuild is in order? Anyone have any recommendations for places in New York City?

I can try changing the fluid as it hasn't been changed in a while, but should that improve things?
Old 05-12-2007, 11:32 AM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

It should have been changed every ~10k miles due to the nature of these transmissions. Personally that's why I sold mine. It wasn't slipping but I felt it jerking sometimes so I figured in a few k miles it might go and didn't want to be stuck with it. Not sure how effective the rebuild is but I do know that people have had problems with their remanufactured trannies.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:44 AM
oholdeno

i was thinking of getting a rebuild with a reliable warranty, if anything.

anyway, some more things:

i checked the tranny dipstick while the car was hot and the stick was bone dry. am i supposed to check when the car is cold? i don't have the manual on me.

i left the parking spot just now and noticed a small oily spot (NOT positive that it's mine) but i reparked the car somewhere else and will check later.

if it's a leaking seal, any chance that a tranny fluid additive might work (that Lucas stuff).

i'm getting REALLY sad as my car's been doing so good for so many miles.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:55 AM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

Originally Posted by oholdeno
i was thinking of getting a rebuild with a reliable warranty, if anything.

anyway, some more things:

i checked the tranny dipstick while the car was hot and the stick was bone dry. am i supposed to check when the car is cold? i don't have the manual on me.

i left the parking spot just now and noticed a small oily spot (NOT positive that it's mine) but i reparked the car somewhere else and will check later.

if it's a leaking seal, any chance that a tranny fluid additive might work (that Lucas stuff).

i'm getting REALLY sad as my car's been doing so good for so many miles.
You're suppose to see SOMETHING on the dipstick, if you don't see anything then you're running low and losing fluid somewhere. I personally would NEVER put additives in any part of my car as they temporarly fix the problem (band-aid) but don't fix it permanently and i've heard they can cause other problems as well. The only thing that should be in your transmission right now is HONDA ATF.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:14 PM
oholdeno

can i just refill through the dipstick hole without getting under the car? i just need something to hold me off for a month (i'm moving out in three days AND taking a trip to europe = $$$$).
Old 05-12-2007, 12:19 PM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

Originally Posted by oholdeno
can i just refill through the dipstick hole without getting under the car? i just need something to hold me off for a month (i'm moving out in three days AND taking a trip to europe = $$$$).
If you're facing the car (looking at the bumper), to your right look at the black air box tube. You might need a flash light but if you look at the black tube, lean over and look directly down about maybe ~10 inches and you'll see bolt labeled ATF (automatic transmission fluid). I forgot the size of the bolt but it pretty big. Take out the bolt and fill it through there with some kinda funnel.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:48 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Honda ATF ONLY!! I don't know how much I can stress this to people, do no put any additives in your transmission. Do not let a mechanic put any additives in.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:01 AM
oholdeno

i found a few more things:

the slipping only happens in the first 5 minutes or so of driving. after warming up a bit there's no shift problems whatsoever. i had a bit of trouble even getting the car to move in first gear which scared the crap out of me. this sucks.

so i drove all the way to honda and picked up 4 quarts of ATF. i had to fill TWO QUARTS just to get the dipstick to read the minimum level.

i think i'm seeing a pretty visible oil leak since i am seeing spots when i leave the driveway (they are not huge puddles or anything like that).

i am hoping the slipping goes away for now after filling up the ATF and that i might get the leaking seal patched up later on. i'm waiting for my car to cool down so that i might see if the slipping still happens.

any ideas what i should try to do now?
Old 05-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-find the leak
-drain and refill a few times.

and you should be good
Old 05-13-2007, 06:43 PM
oholdeno

well i let the car sit for about 6 hours and went for a drive. it seems to be shifting okay on cold start. there's a bit of delay engaging drive/reverse on cold start, but i'm hoping it'll get better with the new ATF.

i'm pretty sure it's still leaking small (3" across) puddles of ATF in my driveway, so i'm hoping it's just a leak in the axle seal. i'll keep you guys updated on this crappy situation.