Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Honda Accord Various Questions

Old 05-09-2007, 03:11 AM
WillGatlin18
AccordDisaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Honda Accord Various Questions

I am new to Honda and heard great things about how long they last and how easy it is to get parts for them, so hey I bought one. I got a 94 Honda Accord LX 2.2l, but hey all cars come with issues right?

Heres the deal. The owner of the car before me jacked it up badly. He never changed the oil in over 10,000miles, when I got it there was hardly any oil in it. I just replaced the leaking valve cover gaskets today and its not leaking anymore. But heres the thing... After the oil change the car runs better but its ticking... Not badly, just a small irritating ticking noise from the engine.

Not only did the previous owner never change the oil or fluids, but he overheated the car for a while. He knowingly had a bad thermostat and would drive it till it got really hot and then he'd shut it off, let it cool, and go the rest of the way to work till he eventually replaced the thermostat. He only drove it that hot for like a week and replaced the thermostat, no damage to engine due to overheating, which is good.

However after getting the engine that hot and running low on oil the internal parts of the engine are covered in this brown baked on oil mess, sludge if you will. I know there some massive carbon in there because after the oil change and two days later the oil was dark brown again.

I have a ton of questions to ask but dont want to carry on sounding like a jackass.

First question: Whats the best way to get that brown crap and carbon out of the engine without a terrible chemical that could eat seals and cause a massive oil leak? Second question: After a fuel intake cleaning the engine is idling high and the idling up and down on its own. I know the tps is dirty so thats probbably causing the bumping of the throttle. But when I push the throttle plate with my finger a bit the idle drops down to around 900-1000rpm. Right now if i shift into drive when my car is idling at 2200 rpm its slamming my tranny really hard. Any advice on adjusting the throttle cable or throttle plate so it goes back to normal idle speed instead of getting stuck at 2200rpm? I sprayed engine degreeser all over it thinking maybe it was externally sticky, but that didnt do a whole lot. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to adjust the plate or cables so it would return to a safe idle after deceleration.
The car is quite jacked up right now but its a project car. Any adive would be appreciated.

Will Gatlin
94 Honda Accord LX 2.2l
willgatlin@hotmail.com
Old 05-09-2007, 06:37 AM
losiglow

With the buildup, I'd recommend Seafoam. It won't hurt your seals or any of that. It's a bit of a "staple" among many honda (and other car) owners. You can buy it at any auto parts store. It's in a white and red can. Follow the instructions on the can. It can be used to clean out injectors and fuel lines by putting it in the gas tank, or clean the internals of the engine by putting it directly into the crank case, running the engine for 10 minutes or so, then changing the oil. The catch is you have to change the oil right afterwards since it removes a lot of the crap from the engine and of course, all the crap is deposited in the oil. From the sounds of it, you may have to do it a few times. Maybe change your oil every 1000 miles for a few changes, seafoaming it each time. After a few changes it might be cleared up. Just an idea.

The clicking is probably a product of the buildup + overheating + the fact that honda engines are just a little clicky. Of course there's nothing that can be done about the latter, but using seafoam can start working on the buildup. As for overheating, it may have thrown the lash out on your valves. Try adjusting your valve lash and see if that helps. Then continue to work on the buildup problem with the seafoam. If that doesn't work after a few routines of seafoaming and changing the oil, I'd have a mechanic look at it.

Remember that you will probably never get rid of the ticking all together. That engine is just a little noisy. I've had a '93 with pretty much the exact same engine, and a '99 with an engine that's actually a little worse than the '93. It's just Honda.

As for the idling issue, I'm not sure. So it only started idling funny after you ran fuel injector cleaner through it? As far as I know, the idle is cpu controlled. I'm not sure how to adjust it. It sounds like your O2 sensor may be goofed or something. I'd try removing it and cleaning it up with electronic contact cleaner or something. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2007, 07:35 AM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

Warped Head, get a new engine

He never took care of the car, no reason in feeding a dead horse
Old 05-09-2007, 11:00 AM
WillGatlin18
AccordDisaster

well its not ticking badly like some engines do. i agree some engines just tick a little, and honda with high mileage... they just tick a tad. I've heard a lot about the sea-foam thing, a buddy of mine is a massive civic freak and built his own car and swears by the stuff. I just get nervous becuase I dont like pouring stuff into my engine when I dont know much about it or what it can do. I looked it up online and saw really good and really bad things about it. The oil leak stopped completely, I think it was the valve cover gasket.

The engine never really "overheated" exactly. It never got to the top of the red mark, just about 3/4ths of the guage so thats why im saying i doubt there was much damage to the engine itself. Its just that, the idiot that had the car (My Boss), never changed the flippin oil in at least 10,000 miles and thats terrible. The inside of the valve cover was caked with carbon shit. If you guys agree with seafoam as a good idea then ill go for it.

As for the idle, somehow it got better. It was idling at well over 2grand, but after the valve cover cleaning and gasket change, and spraying engine degreaser all over the throttle body exterior its much better..... Dont ask me how thats possible, im guessing sticky throttle plate? hell if i know.

By the way, it has a brand new 02 Sensor and that was a BITCH to get out. Damn thing was seized in the exhaust manifold. There were some codes stored in the computer from the past but im not sure why. Code 12- Egr Lift Malfunction, Code 17- Vehicle Speed Sensor, Code 41- O2 Sensor Heater, and Code 41- Fuel Supply System.
I had the check engine light come on several times after the o2 sensor change but i dont know if its still saying bad 02 or related to one of those other issues. I need to pull the codes again. Any idea what "Fuel Supply System Malfunction" could mean?

Anyway, any suggestions on how to get the most out of an engine thats got 150+k miles on it would be great.

Last edited by WillGatlin18; 05-09-2007 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Purerock Racing
Purerock Racing

clicking? Adjust the valves! Mine clicked also when I bought (had 135k miles on it). Probably the prev. owners never had the valves adjusted. They are adjustable. Some of mine were quite loose, so after I adjusted them to spec. (with engine cold), it's all nice n quiet now like new.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:48 AM
WillGatlin18
AccordDisaster

Default Adjustment?

Ya some dude mentioned a valve adjustment. I dont kno how to do that stuff myself, id be better off taking it to a mechanic. I know when i take it there they are going to say you need a new timing belt and water pump, just cause its old...
How much u think it would cost to have a simple timing adjustment done? Or should i have someone just check the timing with a timing light first?

Also... anyone know why my steering is really loose when i turn right but tight when i turn left? I considered fluid being low but its not and theres no bad noises from the pump so I have no clue.