Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR problems...

Old 05-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Shallow_Bay
teh accord guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR problems...

hey guys, been a while since i've been on here. one question about an egr failure on a 94 honda accord. well i finally sold my car 2 weeks ago to a good friend of mine. the very next day, it ran into problems. she said when accelerating when the engine was warmed up, there would be hesitation around 1800 rpm. i took it for a ride and there definitely was misfiring going on. i figured it can only be the egr doing this and i pulled the vaccum line going to it. problem fixed. now of course, with the solenoid operating but no signal that the egr is opening, its throwing a CEL. i do know that too much egr will cause misfire, and on the vacuum diagram theres something in line with between the egr and solenoid valve called a vacuum regulator or something. i'm guessing this went to shit and its letting too much egr into the manifold now. anyone ever hear of this happening or how much this part is gonna cost?
Old 05-12-2007, 03:11 AM
WillGatlin18
AccordDisaster

Default EGR Issues

I have a 94 Honda Accord LX and i got a check engine cell idicating Bad EGR Lift Sensor.
Ive heard that an egr can severely affect performance, but its gotta be pretty screwed up to cause much of a problem. If your engine is running way better with it disconnected then chances are it is your EGR.

Were you getting a CEL with the Egr connected? If not then it may not be your EGR it could be a couple of other things. Have you ever cleared your ECU and driven the car so it could re-program itself? When you clear the computer the computer has to re-learn how to make itself run. If your computer isn't right your car will run wierd.

Let me know if you have any check engine light codes coming on with the EGR connected and that will give me a hint as to what your issue is. As far as i know a bad EGR shouldnt cause severe engine misfire. Could be something as simple as fowled plugs.

Well get back to me.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:38 AM
Shallow_Bay
teh accord guy

i gave this thing a full tuneup right before i sold it... if you connect the vacuum line back up to the egr, no check engine light but the car runs like complete shit. i cleared the code but i knew that wasnt going to work. if the solenoids open and theres no signal that the egr is opening, its going to throw a cel. the cel isnt a problem i know what that is. my question is this vacuum regulator in line with the egr solenoid. its a little green and white plastic canister. i'm asking if anyone ever heard of this going bad before i go spend my whole paycheck at the parts store for something stupid.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:59 AM
WillGatlin18
AccordDisaster

personally ive never heard of that. ususally its a massive clog in the egr ports that causes it, not in the vaccume line. ill have to go look at my accord to see exactly what your talking about.

untill then, keep the vaccume disconnected
Old 12-15-2007, 08:19 AM
STI581

i have the same issue i even replaced the egr valve and did the cleaning now i have the vacum line disconnected and it runs just fine....any help here????
Old 12-15-2007, 12:16 PM
STI581

i think i found out my issue my hoses by the solenoid were on backwards...the vacum lines were mis matched....i test drove it and it works fine...so we'll see if it sputters later or dies out or a check engine light but i hope not...