Changing Transmission Oil

Old 01-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Jon02Accord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there a screen to clean?
Old 01-08-2007, 06:48 PM
tpowers

I sure Hope It Isn't F*ked Up. My Wife Loves Her Car. She Is Hoping It gets better or last a little longer,so she can get the funds for putting it in the shop. I Only Changed the Tranny Fluid 2 times w/3quarts, better but not 100% Cleaned Shifts Cylinoid Screens (Dirty). Wish Me Luck
Old 01-09-2007, 06:49 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The torque converter doesn't drain, so when you drain/fill you only get about 1/3 of the fluid. If it's real dirty, you may need to do 4 or 5 or more drain/fill cycles. Drive around to mix fluid inbetween. There's no filter or screen that you can change (unless you dismantle the tranny).

Still, no guarantees. There must be a reason why Honda says NOT to 'flush' their automatic trannys. I think partly it's because the flushing machine uses some kind of solvent - not pure ATF.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:57 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

An external tansmission cooler may help prolong the life of your tranny, I just hope it hasn't gotten too far.

Last edited by totalimmortal; 01-09-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:00 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by JimBlake
The torque converter doesn't drain, so when you drain/fill you only get about 1/3 of the fluid. If it's real dirty, you may need to do 4 or 5 or more drain/fill cycles. Drive around to mix fluid inbetween. There's no filter or screen that you can change (unless you dismantle the tranny).

Still, no guarantees. There must be a reason why Honda says NOT to 'flush' their automatic trannys. I think partly it's because the flushing machine uses some kind of solvent - not pure ATF.
Jim,...have you ever cleaned the linear solenoid? Its under the battery tray against the tranny. Hard to see. You gotta get in there to find it.

its this one circled in red
Old 01-09-2007, 09:28 AM
OptimusPrimeSr

Cleaned Shifts Cylinoid Screens (Dirty).
how did you do this and what did you use? Did you remove the tops like this...
Old 01-09-2007, 10:03 AM
flyromeo3

woah....i've never seen it dismantled like that. Theres a screen between the solenoid and housing which where the fluid builds up.

I think the problems with the transmissions is with the hydraulic system.
Someone told me that replacing the solenoid will fix it temporarily but that it may appear again.
I know for the 5th gen accords developed a tranny problem and the fix was to replace the solenoid.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:43 PM
tpowers

Its not my car, its the wife's,Her pride and joy and first car she ever brought so I have empathy for my wife. I own a 99 Chrysler Sebring and am into car audio and SPL, guys. Well thanks for showing me the pics,but the tranny went out anyways last night, Thank God Before we made the Trip to the CES show in Vegas. We will replace the tranny cause the car had no other problems. I just f*ked up and took it to Jiffy Lube and didn't listen to people when they told me to use only Honda Products. I decided to get on this forum cause she didn't want to and look like a stupid female and get eaten up by you guys. We Live And We Learn.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:19 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
Jim,...have you ever cleaned the linear solenoid?
I've cleaned other similar solenoids, but haven't had troubles with the '98 auto tranny. (yet?) All my other cars are manual trannys.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:56 AM
tpowers

Damn, I didn't think it would be so hard to find a replacement tranny for the car. ANY LEADS??? I'm In Southern California.