Sponsored by:

Well the 98 Accord's tranmission finally died

Old 07-11-2006, 07:00 PM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well the 98 Accord's tranmission finally died

At 149,xxx miles.

You should've seen 4th and reverse. Completely torn up.

$1800 for a rebuild isn't that bad. Local guy my family trusts and he rebuilt the tranny on the 95 F-150 and it's still going strong 40K miles later.

My oh-so-weak attempts at drag racing it probably resulted in the eventual failure but at 150K miles I'm not too upset.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:42 PM
shipu7la

Default where you at?

ok, so your family trusts the guy. I think, my tranmission will go out soon, so, I am looking for a relaiable guy who can built my 99 accord transmission. Are you in Los Angeles Area? Let me know. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:35 AM
Big AL
Swollen Member

If you have a V6 then it's not surprising your tranny went out but if you have a I4 auto then I am surprised as that's too soon for a replacement unless you never replaced the tranny fluid then, well, you had it coming.

Ship, if you look really hard you'll see his location says Little Rock, Arkansas.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:56 AM
kenton

No, it's the F23A1 automatic transmission. Fluid was always changed according to schedule.

See -- the thing is. I used to think I was a big Paul Walker street racer type. At one point I had an AEM CAI, DC 4-2-1, Helix and Evo2 on my Accord. I used to beat the fuck out of it, upshift manually, downshift manually, power brake, neutral drops, get the car rolling in reverse and slam it in 1st and spin tires. I used to do everything possible that's negative to an automatic transmission.

This is why I drive an 05 RSX Type-S now, I got tired of the automatic being slow.

I discovered very interesting things in my research, like if you put the transmission into reverse above 10MPH it doesn't actually go into reverse, it goes into neutral. It made for a lot of fun some nights when I had someone riding my ass, I'd pop it in reverse and tap the brake lights (reverse lights would come on + brake lights) and often times I'd see their head bob from hitting the brakes so damn hard.

Also I learned, say you're at 90MPH in 4th gear, this speed is too high for say... 2nd gear. However, if you put the shifter in 2nd or even 1st (!) it would put the transmission in it's MAXIMUM SAFE GEAR, or in other words 3rd.

But, on that same token, one time I was doing... 120-130MPH and I decided to see what would happen if I went back into 1st, well the car downshifted into 3rd (I'm pretty sure, anything else would've been insta-death) but I'm pretty sure it was about to overrev itsself so I quickly shifted back into 4th.

It is possible to overrev an automatic

Last edited by kenton; 07-12-2006 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:13 AM
Big AL
Swollen Member

OK, in that case, I'm still surprised but only because your I4 auto tranny lasted as long as it did given the amount of abuse and torture you put it through. Wow, you really did beat the fuck out of it. Good choice on the RSX though :goodjob: . You drive both cars now? I would've dumped the accord if I had an RSX and my accord tranny went. That's a lot of money unless you plan on keeping it awhile.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:20 AM
kenton

Actually my folks bought the Accord for me three years ago this month, it was $9000 w/ 77k miles on it. (Bluebook at the time was $11,500)

Then I drove it for two years before giving it to my mom for $5K. She had a '96 Mercury Tracer that was ALWAYS in the shop. Mom's been driving it for a year and the transmission finally died. She probably put 20K miles on it.

I don't know how it was driven brand new - 77K miles, it was owned by a younger couple (mid-late 20s) and it was the girl's car. I can only assume it saw a good life during those years. Then I put about 50K miles on it in two years (EEK) and mom's put another 20K on it.

I put down a chunk of change on my RSX last summer and my payments are 198/mth, I still owe something like 16K

Mom's planning on getting an MY06 or MY07 vehicle soon, I'm trying to talk her into the new V6 Camry but that's beside the point. I'm going to offer to buy the Accord back because

A) I need a beater and I know how absolutely RELIABLE the Accord is
B) I want to eventually do a CL-S head swap with a 3.5L MDX bottom end with the MY03 CL-S' 6 speed

Last edited by kenton; 07-12-2006 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:55 AM
ItsaHonda

If you have a V6 then it's not surprising your tranny went out but if you have a I4 auto then I am surprised>>

Why? The I4 autos had the same problem... just not quite as widespread as the V6s.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Big AL
Swollen Member

Originally Posted by ItsaHonda
If you have a V6 then it's not surprising your tranny went out but if you have a I4 auto then I am surprised>>

Why? The I4 autos had the same problem... just not quite as widespread as the V6s.
Do you have actual proof of this other than hearsay? BTW - Weren't you the same person who once said "The I4 and V6 accords use the same transmission"? I find it hard to believe someone who says things like that.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:44 PM
ItsaHonda

Do you have actual proof of this other than hearsay?>>>

It's common knowledge. Proof is allover the internet. What exactly are you looking for? Would you like for me to dig up everyones posts who has had a premature auto tranny failure in their 4-cylinder 6th gen? Bad carrier bearings sourced from an outside supplier were the cause of the failures. Both the I4 and V6s used carrier bearings from the same supplier and Hondas extended warranty includes BOTH the I4 and V6 Accords. The Prelude is also specifically included in the warranty, and I can't remember the last Prelude that had a V6.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:20 PM
lufkintravis

Originally Posted by kenton
Actually my folks bought the Accord for me...

Then I drove it for two years before giving it to my mom for $5K.

Sounds like she got the bad end of the deal... LOL