Notices

Wacko Sound- Help!!

Old 05-17-2006, 02:51 PM
bigt61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wacko Sound- Help!!

1992 honda accord EX AUTO TRANS.

248,000miles. transmission went out, replaced it with a JDM one from Best Japanese Engines in ATLanta GA.

Trans shifts fine, runs like it should, no codes or anything.

BUT...... after replacing the trans, i now hear a sound that sound like a power steering pump whine, except like 100 times worse.....

this is my wifes car....... for a few months before the trans went out, we had the "power steering pump walrus sounding grinding/whining noise" about 1/2 the time we drove the car.

I changed the PS fluid, but that didnt help. still noise.

I am wondering if the trans is making the noise, or if the PS is causing it.

Her rack and pinion leaks a small bit at the steering box, may that be it as well?

I use genuine HONDA ATF and PS fluid only.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:53 PM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by bigt61
1992 honda accord EX AUTO TRANS.

248,000miles. transmission went out, replaced it with a JDM one from Best Japanese Engines in ATLanta GA.

Trans shifts fine, runs like it should, no codes or anything.

BUT...... after replacing the trans, i now hear a sound that sound like a power steering pump whine, except like 100 times worse.....

this is my wifes car....... for a few months before the trans went out, we had the "power steering pump walrus sounding grinding/whining noise" about 1/2 the time we drove the car.

I changed the PS fluid, but that didnt help. still noise.

I am wondering if the trans is making the noise, or if the PS is causing it.

Her rack and pinion leaks a small bit at the steering box, may that be it as well?

I use genuine HONDA ATF and PS fluid only.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
umm.. :thinking:
now if the power steering pump is/was sounding like a walrus wouldnt that be the problem? vs. changing the fluid
Old 05-17-2006, 07:04 PM
phat99accord
BMW Tech

is the sound always there?(car running but not moving)

If so turn the wheels and see if the sound changes. if it does then its most likely you p/s pump which needs 2 be replaced if the systems is already topped up.

If the pump runs low on fluid then the internals will wear and then keep making noises.

If the sound is only when driving then there might be a problem with bearings. but i think its just the p/s pump