Notices

7th Gen Brakes and Rotors?

Old 05-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Accord2005NJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7th Gen Brakes and Rotors?

Hi,

I have 2005 Accord LX 4 cyl Auto. The car has about 18,200 miles and for quite some time I have noticed that when I brake from 80mph to 50 mph there is a noise (no vibration in pedal - just a noise). Now, my brake pads are almost done but it appears my rotors need to be changed as well (not cut).

Are Honda OEM rotors the best way to go, or is there a:

a) Cheeper but equally good solution/rotor?
b) A bit more expensive but better rotos?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2006, 05:05 PM
jschmid

What exactly makes you think you need new rotors? Not sure what you mean by the "not cut" comment.

If you don't have any vibration on braking, they should be fine...esp with only 18K miles on them. My OEM rotors lasted about 60-70K.

I replaced mine with Brembo OEM replacements ("blanks") and I'm now at 99K and no problems, they've been great.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Accord2005NJ

Originally Posted by jschmid
What exactly makes you think you need new rotors? Not sure what you mean by the "not cut" comment.

If you don't have any vibration on braking, they should be fine...esp with only 18K miles on them. My OEM rotors lasted about 60-70K.

I replaced mine with Brembo OEM replacements ("blanks") and I'm now at 99K and no problems, they've been great.

Actually, my rotors produce (between 80 to 55 mph when braking) a slightly defening sound (whooooomppppphhhh sound?). There is no shaking in pead or stearing wheel but the noise is certainly there.

A mechanic looked at the rotors and says they are discolored and should be changed. Another honda mechanic also looked at the same rotors and said they are discolored but that its normal and fine etc.

So, should I just replace brake pads or should I also replace rotors? If I just replace brake pads should I (do I have to) cut the rotors? Obviously, if I can just slap new par of pads I save money (I don't feel like spending $$$ for rotors), however, that noise does worry and bother me even though there is no shake. By the way that noise was there from 10k miles until now (18k). I took it to dealer twice and they said all was well. The noise actually comes and goes, it is more pronaunced if the brakes are hot (i.e. a lot of breaking).
Old 05-15-2006, 06:30 AM
01ACCORD

With 18k on them the dealer should handle them. My dealer has before in the past. They replaced the pads and turned the rotors.

if the pads are gone at 18k, I'd say you have a bad caliper that's letting the pads drag.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Accord2005NJ

Dealer says the warranty on brakes in only 12 months so they are refusing to honor the deal.

By the way, would a (qualified) mechanic know how to spot a bad caliper? I am thinking of buying blank brembo brakes and Honda OEM pads and putting it on thru a mechanic I know. Tirerack.com sells Brembo rotors for 45 a peace.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:57 AM
jobata23
Got Vtec?

i heard all u need is a brand new brake pads since the oem pads are on the 7th gen accord sucks, and recommend getting some hawk pads, which im in the process of doing
Old 05-17-2006, 04:42 AM
jobrien

Unless you've warped them or something, why couldn't you just have them turned? I'm not sure why you're being told they are bad especially with so little mileage on them.

You should just replace the pads and be fine. The squealing you hear is most likely just the wear indicators on the pads especially if you have actually noticed that they are worn out, etc.

Brembo blanks are fine. I put Raybestos blanks on my fronts with Honda OEM pads and they work just fine.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:09 AM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

I'm with the others, swap the pads. You can do this yourself, simply buy some pads. I love the ceramic choices you find at most online places like the tirerack.com

Then swing by Napa and pic up a caliper spreader and a rear disc brake tool. The job will be cake, if you have rear disc. If you have drums they should still be fine.

You can get a pdf. of how to swap out the pads from most local dealers. They may even give it to you no questions asked if you buy the pads from the dealer.

As long as you own a good floor jack and a set of metric sockets this job will take you all of 30-mins at most. It's a great DIY and it will save you a bundle vs. a dealer/mechanic.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:16 PM
georgie

I just had Acura give me new pads and rotors with 16k miles on my tsx. only bc there was a pulsation. On my 7th gen accord i went 42k on originals with another 20k left on the pads so i cant fugure out how you burned the pads up in 18k miles.

Brembo blanks and PBR pads are my choice. I got them for $100 shipped for my 5th gen