Notices

a good price?

Old 05-11-2006, 06:31 PM
96accordexcoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a good price?

so i was headed to best buy to ground my amp and finally hook up my sound system. i waited 3 months for the box to get finished and it was finally done! so i started hearing a ticktickclickticktickclick from my engine. at first it wasnt loud but hwne i kept driving it got noticeably louder. this happened on a saturdday night so i was gonna take it in monday morning. i was stopped at a red light not even half a mile away from bestbuy and the clicking is loud and then my car shuts off... i try cranking it and it turns but no start. so i pull to the side and called AAA...

the towing guy told me it was the timing belt... i expected an expensive repair. i had it towed monday morning to my shop to have it fixed. monday afternoon the guy calls and said it was definitely the timing belt... and because it broke while it was running it crushed all my valves. he told me i needed a completely new engine, 25000 for a used one and 6900 for a new one.

incredibly heart breaking. i havent even had it fora full year.

so i'm trying to sell my 96 accord ex coupe with a busted engine now and i was wondering around what price i should ask for. there are minor dents and dings all around the car, but its not completely poo.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:40 PM
marc96accord
Banned

they sell jdm f22 vtec engines all day on ebay for 400- 700 bucks
i ve had a few friends that have bought engines from ebay and had no problems
Old 05-11-2006, 08:51 PM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

i was going to get a motor from ebay actually. I would just make sure they have a phone number and have a good feedback score. Just incase for any reason it doesn't fire. Then at least you can get hold of a REAL person rather than leave messages and stuff.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:17 PM
96accordexcoupe

yeah i would try and do that but me and my family are skeptical about ebay and other private sources. since we dont know too much about cars its hard for me to go through with something like that. and anyways i'm leaving for college in 2 months so i wont be needing the car too much (only on break). and it seems like we sorta got ripped whne we bought the car... theres slight differences in the paint (fenders, bumpers, roof, hood) that i didnt really notice or think to much of ... it was a rookie mistake... and i guess i learned the hard way...
Old 05-11-2006, 09:21 PM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

thats a real bummer. So your sure you need a new motor. Cause i worked as an auto tech last year and whenever we had to replace a timing belt or chain, and the valves were bent we just had the head machined. It was like a 1200 dollar job but the car ran fine after that. You should only need a new motor if the piston rings got beat up or something like that.