Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D4 indicator light question? (V6)

Old 04-16-2006, 03:23 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D4 indicator light question? (V6)

Ok my sister's car has had a new tranny installed not that long ago (several weeks ago), and a new position switch? (her term for a part honda replaced after the tranny.)

On some cold mornings the D4 light won't be on, not blinking, just not on. And it won't shift as the same per her. But once parked at work it's fine the rest of the day. Also if it's warm at night it won't happen either. Been warm last few weeks been ok for that time.

Any ideas, she can't recreate the problem for Honda either as it's only a first of the day thing, and not always; only when it's sub 30F the night before as a round number.

I've not driven the car she has only told me this over the phone.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:36 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the light bulb is loose or the circuit board is slightly worn in that area and she's just imagining things. Or Ask her if she's tried jiggling the lever...maybe she's potting it between 3-4 or something. Or maybe Honda didn't adjust the shift linkage correctly, but I doubt it.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:09 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Sounds like the light bulb is loose or the circuit board is slightly worn in that area and she's just imagining things. Or Ask her if she's tried jiggling the lever...maybe she's potting it between 3-4 or something. Or maybe Honda didn't adjust the shift linkage correctly, but I doubt it.
Nah, it's totally temperature dependant, since summer's coming I told her worry about it next fall

She graduates this May from grad school, I figure the Accord at 130k mi will be dumped well before 200k. I think she wants an Accord coupe.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:08 AM
uschonda

Default re: tranny

taken from another board:

These characteristics are normal; they should not require you to call your Honda dealer.
  • Quick downshifts. The transmission has a computerized control system called grade logic. When going down a hill, even a light touch of the brake pedal can cause grade logic to downshift to the next lower gear. Downshifting helps to slow the vehicle through engine braking.
  • Does not always shift through the full range of gears. This can also be caused by the grade logic system keeping the transmission in the optimum gear for different driving conditions.
  • Mechanical noise when selecting a forward or reverse gear. It's normal to hear a slight mechanical noise when moving the shift lever from one gear to another. This noise can sound abnormally loud if any of the windows are down and you are parked next to a wall or another vehicle.
  • Vehicle may not hold its position when stopped on an incline in gear (may roll backward when the brake pedal is released). This can occur on most Honda-made vehicles. It is one of the measures used to improve fuel economy.
  • Hard shifts before the engine warms up. By design, the transmission shifts a little harder when the engine is cold. It returns to smoother shifting when the engine warms up.
These characteristics are not normal; if you experience any of them, call your Honda dealer.
  • While driving, the D4 indicator on the instrument panel flashes.
D4 Indicator
  • An abnormally loud noise from the transmission.
  • Extremely slow or delayed gear engagement, upshifts, or downshifts.
  • Abnormal gear slippage during upshifts or downshifts.
  • Erratic or excessively harsh shifting.
  • Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) leaks.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:22 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally Posted by MrChad
Nah, it's totally temperature dependant, since summer's coming I told her worry about it next fall
I've had a 1990 Nissan Stanza and a 1996 Eagle Talon have the exact same thing happen.

The Stanza's transmission woudn't shift during a cold start ... it would even buck back and forth. Solution? A new transmission.

The Talon's transmission wouldn't shift during a cold start. No bucking, but it had long shift periods and would slip out of gear randomly. Solution? Something to do with the "waste gate".

Either way, a temprature sensitive transmission isn't normal. I understand about a cold start and go ... but what you're describing isn't right.

On the coldest starts, my transmission shifts at 35mph at over 3,000 rpms ... I'm not sure if that's normal, but it's something to gauge your issues off of. :hs:
Old 04-17-2006, 05:31 AM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

uschonda, thanks. But the D4 isn't flashing from what she tells me it's simply not on.

Honda did check the bulb and dash relay and it all checks out.

As for replacing the tranny that's not it, it now has a new tranny (few weeks old) straight from the Honda remfg. (1yr-15,000mi war). The dealer had the car for a bit, but couldn't recreate this exact issue.

From what I understand the transmission shift when the light is out, it's just slower and not as rapid and she says the idle is just off. I'm not sure what that means. It's only a first start in the morning issue on really cold nights. Else it's acting normal right now.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:46 PM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say the shift position is sticking either defective replacement or not aligned properly. when the D4 light doesn't come on the computer dosen't know the car is in D4 and will shift funny as the switch is on the tranny outside in the sub 30 weather .
Old 06-22-2006, 07:56 AM
Big AL
Swollen Member

My D4 indicator light on my dash gauge cluster just burned out a few weeks ago. My D4 light is out all the time and not intermittent like MrChad's sister's light. I thought maybe I could just replace it but I found out it's an LED that's soldered into the circuit board of the gauge cluster. I'm thinking about desoldering the old one and soldering in a new one. Does anyone know what size LED I need or will any LED from like Radio Shack work?