Notices

Dealer is an Idiot (Read On) - Need Help.

Old 04-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Accord2005NJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer is an Idiot (Read On) - Need Help.

Hi,

I have 2 vehicles. 2005 Accord LX Auto and 2005 CRV 4x4 LX.

Both of these cars have external transmission fluid filters. The filters are about $18 bucks and they are placed (I believe) close to the front end (close to the radiator).

So, I call the dealer to order the part (Filters). First, some chick who picks up the phone tells me that there is no tranny fluid filter (external). I explain to her that there is, that this was new for 2005 on both models, and that few days earlier I actually had the part number but I lost it. She keeps arguing with me (service advisor a chick?) and finally I tell her that if she is willing to bet her job on it I will talk to the dealership manager. She puts me on hold, finally FINDS it on schematics on computer and orders me two filters (they are the same for Accord and CRV).

BUT now, they want (watch this) 136 dollars to change it. Sure, why don't I just bend over while we are at it right?!

Bottom line, can someone please post schematics of the location of this filter and how to change it? Is it screw on (like oil filter)?

Thanks all.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:58 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just buy a service manual for $80 and save yourself 10 times that much at the dealer?
Old 04-04-2006, 09:28 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Why not just buy a service manual for $80 and save yourself 10 times that much at the dealer?
I think he's trying to save money so he's asking us for help. h:
Old 04-04-2006, 09:32 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by SumAccordGuy94
I think he's trying to save money so he's asking us for help. h:
If he can afford $35,000 worth of cars he can probably afford an $80 Helms manual There aren't a ton of 7th gen owners on here and I don't think I've seen any of them post up scans of Helms pages. Maybe Accord2005NJ can be that guy
Old 04-05-2006, 04:28 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
If he can afford $35,000 worth of cars he can probably afford an $80 Helms manual There aren't a ton of 7th gen owners on here and I don't think I've seen any of them post up scans of Helms pages. Maybe Accord2005NJ can be that guy
not true. I have money and i wouldnt just spend 135 for something i may be able to do.
But, 80 bucks isnt that much of an investment. It will pay itself within time.

IF the filter is external I would assume its like a cylinder type shape.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:10 AM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Well I'm not going to scoff at the fee for the service.

Most shops charge $80/hr for the mechanic. Plus there is likely a fee in there to drain and refill the tranny with fluid, dispose of old fluid. Time getting your car up and on the rack, etc.

Time/Labor is one of the most expensive things in America, parts/technology is cheap relatively. And this is not limited to auto's this goes for most anything. Hence why I bet a good deal of us in this forum likely have careers in service oriented field, making decent money to buy our beloved Hondas.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:14 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Originally Posted by MrChad
Time/Labor is one of the most expensive things in America, parts/technology is cheap relatively. And this is not limited to auto's this goes for most anything. Hence why I bet a good deal of us in this forum likely have careers in service oriented field, making decent money to buy our beloved Hondas.
Damn...Bustin' some economy out on us!:goodjob:

He's absolutly right though. We, as americans, have essentially priced ourselves out of the labor market.

Last edited by totalimmortal; 04-05-2006 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Accord2005NJ

Hi,

Mr. Cheepo here Not really....just kidding.

I have Accord manual 2005 (paid about $80) for it but gave it to a friend who "forgot" to return it ha...ha..for about 3 months now.

As for labor/dealer price; I will say this - dealer wants $130+ just for labor, PLUS another $60 for drain, PLUS another $18.65 for the filter. And this from the SAME dealer that could not find the bloody thing and did not know it existed. So, how did they come with this "scientific" figure of $130+ bucks just for the tranny filter change - I'll tell you - they just said "hey lets rape this guy financially."

That is why I am asking for help my fellow Honda-people. Will you come to my aid?
Old 04-05-2006, 02:29 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

My philosophy with the dealership is anything is up for negotiation. If the price seams un-resondalbe, ask them to justify the break down.

You could clearly agree to a lower price with the dealer before any service if you'd like. It never hurts to ask.

Do you have a local Acura or another Honda dealer, you could get a quote from them as well and see if they'll price match.

I also generally ask the tech at the service desk for coupons, most places have a 10% off coupon.

Another thing to remember is if you plan to sell the '05 in a year or 4 all those dealer serv. reciepts should help you fetch a better price on trade-in if you plan to purchase yet another Honda.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:12 PM
honda guy

The problem is this. You have no idea where it is so you automatically think your being Raped. Now In order to get to it you need to remove the entire airbox assly to gain access to the top of the trans. Then obviously you need to drain the fluid. Once thats done than you can undo the lines and unbolt the filter. Than you can reinstall it and refill the tranny.

Remeber that your paying 130 something to have it done. Based on the premis that a dealor charges 80-90 per hour labor and they want only 130 something that works out to be, Oh roughly an hour and a half labor. Now a trans drain and fill pays a tech a half hour so thats leaves an hour for them to find your car in the parking lot, set it up on the lift, and then replace it. I don't think thats a bad price.

The other option is you can lay on the ground in your driveway and do it yourself. But then again you have no idea where it is.

Oh yeah when did the maintanace schedule say to replace this ?