Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dead clutch?

Old 03-19-2006, 01:08 PM
96accordexcoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dead clutch?

well it all started when i was passing a power wire for my amp through a grommet in the firewall. my friend lifted up the carpet on the drivers side and discovered oil leaking behind the clutch pedal. he said my master cylinder has a leak. last night i drove it around 1am and it was feeling fine. today, i drove my car and noticed the clutch pedal is super soft and has a lot of slack. the sweet spot is a lot lower than regular too. whats happening?

and how much do you think repairs would cost?
Old 03-19-2006, 03:35 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Your master cylinder is likely out of fluid, you need a new one. It shouldn't run more then a few hundred for the repair job.

Get the fluid cleaned up it's brake fluid in that puppy it will eat the carpet and paint like none other!
Old 03-19-2006, 04:59 PM
96accordexcoupe

thanks for the help. i'm absolutely positive my mechanic is going to tell me that i need a new clutch. he said i needed to replace my clutch 7 months ago and i know that was a lie because it was a new clutch. should i believe him if he tells me i need a new clutch? as far as i know it could be both the master cylinder leaking and the clutch wearing out, i'm pretty bad with cars.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:59 PM
sponginpunk

yea that definately sounds like the master cylinder...if ur pedal is feeling different than its ur master cylinder...it theres a difference in how ur car actually runs then its ur clutch
Old 03-20-2006, 10:53 AM
94ccordEx

almost all mechanics will tell you anything. unless they are like your friend and such. thats why its always good to kno something about your own car.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:48 AM
96accordexcoupe

well i got the master cylinder repaired but the clutch still has a lot of slack. it seems just as soft and now it sticks... is this supposed to happen and should i wait it out or take it back?

and also my passenger side window wont work. theres no noise of the motor or anything. and i have no idea why it stopped working... any suggestions? i hate problems it causes so much stress.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:00 PM
sponginpunk

where did you get the master cylinder from?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:05 PM
96accordexcoupe

my mechanic
Old 03-21-2006, 12:05 PM
96accordexcoupe

replaced it
Old 03-21-2006, 07:37 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

The faulty master cylinder could have lead to a bad clutch over time, but I'd bleed the system again, it's hard to get all the air out of a hydrolic clutch system when you replace parts like the master cylinder, you may want to verify that the slave cylinder is ok too.

Does you local dealer do a free estimate, might be worth the second opinion as well.

The PW would be unrelated to the clutch.

You may want to invest in a Helm manual to resolve the window issue. Could be a bad switch, motor, relay etc.