Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sqeak/Tick: goes away when clutch depressed. What is it?

Old 03-18-2006, 10:49 AM
exbrick
I'd rather be driving.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sqeak/Tick: goes away when clutch depressed. What is it?

The subject pretty much sums it up. When the car is warmed up I start to get a repetitive sqeak or tick that is most noticeale below ~2200RPM. Doesn't matter how fast the car is going. The noise goes away as soon as I start to depress the clutch to shift and immediately comes back when I let back off of the clutch.

I couldn't find any good answers in old threads. Any idea what this could be? The car runs and drives just fine except for the irritating noise.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:20 PM
exbrick
I'd rather be driving.

Little bit of follow up info. It is definitely coming from the area of the clutch. A little while go I had the car idling and noticed that the clutch fork was vibrating pretty well. Grabbing the clutch fork and applying just enough pressure to move it a few millimeters stopped the noise, at least temporarily. Are there any components in that area that would be prone to rubbing due to engine vibration? The noise does come and go as I drive down the road.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:45 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

well the clutch fork is touching the secondary slave cylinder and the throwout bearing inside the tranny.

maybe there is slack on theh bearing? i know mine had hella slack.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:59 AM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

I had this exact issue the tick was from a worn or going throw out bearing (pilot bearing).

You'll need to have a new one installed, since the tranny must get pulled for this you may want to think about a new clutch kit(bearing, pressure plate, clutch disc) if the mileage is anywhere near 75-100k mi.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:17 PM
exbrick
I'd rather be driving.

The car only has 36,000 miles on it. I did some more research and I have read that noises like this are usually caused by slack at the clutch fork pivot point, and can sometimes be fixed with a liberal application of high-temp grease with a long brush. Odds are I will start with that and see what happens. I think it is a really bizarre symptom for a throwout bearing but who knows. If it comes to that I will probably do the whole clutch kit. I haven't had to tear anything major off of this car so I guess that's just how it goes.

What else would happen if it's a throwout bearing? Would there be driveability issues as it gets worse? More importantly does it pose a risk of collateral damage to the tranny?
Old 03-19-2006, 03:31 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

My original throw out died around 30k mi under warranty, the replacement ticked as well and required a tad bit of high temp grease.

But because the first one was really really dead I think it did some other damage. My pressure plate is started to make a rachet type noise, now at 65k mi now. Honda said I'll likely need a new one. I've been living with it like this for some time now though as the clutch system does run fine for now. The dealership said they didn't know how long it would last, that was a few thousand miles and at least 2 years ago.

If you don't do anything the bearing would likely just get worse, I'd do the grease thing as well and see what that does first.

Else a new clutch kit from Honda isn't the worst thing to have installed, I don't drive my Accord daily and I'm just lazy at this point.

If the noise only goes away when the clutch is pressed in then it definately is the bearing. It will let you know when it's getting worse.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:07 AM
exbrick
I'd rather be driving.

Thanks for all the info. At least now I know what I'm up against. I've pulled a tranny on a RWD car, sounds like maybe it's time to learn FWD.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:50 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

there is an access door for to the fork area if I recall, give that a try first...
Old 03-21-2006, 07:32 AM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

My clutch is doing somewhat of the same thing. I have the exedy organic racing clutch but I only hear the sound at idle. Sounds like a pigeon in the engine.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:35 AM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Originally Posted by vtecaccord01
My clutch is doing somewhat of the same thing. I have the exedy organic racing clutch but I only hear the sound at idle. Sounds like a pigeon in the engine.
No that hooting-hum has nothing to do with the clutch, my Accord has sounded like that at startup ever since I could remember at all of 16mi on the clock new.