Notices

manually shift auto

Old 09-19-2002, 06:24 AM
LxAccord97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was told by a very good friend-mechanic of mine that its ok to do it as long as you dont rev it very hard
but then again i wouldn't ...
Old 09-19-2002, 11:10 AM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's just accelerating the time you will need to replace the tranny... do yourselfe a favor and just buy a manual or swap a manual, might be cheaper in the longrun...
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 09-19-2002, 02:28 PM
cwa107

I love people who think they can manually shift a regular autotranny. OK, let me 'splain something - IT'S AN AUTOMATIC. Rowing the shifter between D1-D2-D3-OD, whatever, does nothing but limit what the top gear is that the tranny will shift into. Not only is this an incredible waste of time, but it can be damaging because transaxles (i.e. FWD transmissions) are exceedingly fragile. They don't like being beaten and they are not designed to be "manually shifted". The only reason those "gears" are there is so that you can use the engine for braking if you're coming down a huge hill or are going up a hill and don't want to tranny shifting into OD. Those of you that have automatics are best advised to baby your transmission. If you don't it WILL eventually break.

A friend of mine works at a small transmission shop. The owners love you guys - by that I mean, those of you who drive your automatic four-cylinder cars as though it were a sports car, or better yet, modify it so that it's putting out more power than the transaxle was designed to handle (BTW, most automatics are designed to fit a variety of engines, and many times, bone stock cars are already overburdening the transaxle). If you really want to modify, street race or autocross your car, the first thing you need to do is put in an MTX - otherwise you're wasting your time (and eventually a whole lotta money). Thankfully Honda's transaxles are better than most. You should see the number of Fords/Mazdas sitting outside of this guy's shop.

Anyway, I hope I save at least one of you some time, money and frustration. Rebuilt automatics are not fun, they seldom work right and the car is never the same again. Replacing the entire unit with a solid, new automatic is the best option, but it will cost you a small fortune (better to just get a new car). This is why I spent so much time jumping up and down at the Honda dealer demanding an EX with a 5-spd (sort of hard to find since the EX's tend to be the top of the line). I just hope Honda eventually decides to put a manual option in the Accord V-6 four-door by the time my lease is up.
Old 09-20-2002, 06:11 PM
accordtunerx

ok....i have a 4 speed automatic 92 accord EX.

Most of the time, i keep it in D4. The only time that i use D3 is when traveling uphill (one of it's main purposes), and occasionaly i will use it when racing. I dropped from a 17.6 to a 17.0 (track) in the 1/4 mile just by keeping it in D3. Now, i'm not saying that the WHOLE difference was accounted for simply by keeping it in D3, it could have been the temperature that night, or whatever. But, it does make a difference, and a difference you can FEEL at that. When I'm racing someone in general and i'm in D4 going about 65 mph and drop it into D3, you can feel the car jolt forward. Now, it's not the kind of jolt you get from turbo or NOS, but you CAN feel it...and it does have a real sweet sound to it :drool:

ummm....powershifting is something that i don't do often, meaning going from 1st to 2nd to D3, etc. I've done it a couple of times at the track just experimenting and my times didn't change as a result. They were like 17.2, 17.3....I actually did better with keeping it in D3 the whole way - 17.0. Also when you keep it in D3 the whole way, when it get's to the 3rd gear, it'll get up to about 6,000 rpms/it'll rev higher....usually i don't get to 4th on a 1/4 mile, so i just let off and i never redline.

Nobody wants to spend that kind of money for a 5 speed...unless they have it, which i don't. Nobody is acting like they have a 5 speed either; it's just smart racing. It's not gonna hurt to powershift every once in a while (doing it when racing once a month, etc.) and it DOES make a difference. If you are trying to reach the ideal Rpms in order to reach the max hp on your car, you will most likely need to Powershift. Yes, you can just hammer the pedal to the floor too, but powershifting is much more precise. You CAN choose when to shift. There’s about a 1 sec. Delay, but if you are smart about shifting your automatic manually, you will be able to figure out when to shift according to how much you have learned about your accord’s shift patterns, etc.

My advice is to keep it in D4 while daily driving, D3 for uphill climbs, passing on a 2 lane highway, occasional racing, etc. And use the option to powershift even less (track use). This is just advice from the way I have set up my shifting techniques. This way, your accord doesn’t see too much shifting abuse often, but you get some extra power when you request it – everybody’s happy :thumbup:

http://www.wikkedimports.com/92honda.htm
Old 09-20-2002, 08:27 PM
cwa107

Originally posted by accordtunerx
ok....i have a 4 speed automatic 92 accord EX.

Most of the time, i keep it in D4. The only time that i use D3 is when traveling uphill (one of it's main purposes), and occasionaly i will use it when racing. I dropped from a 17.6 to a 17.0 (track) in the 1/4 mile just by keeping it in D3. Now, i'm not saying that the WHOLE difference was accounted for simply by keeping it in D3, it could have been the temperature that night, or whatever. But, it does make a difference, and a difference you can FEEL at that. When I'm racing someone in general and i'm in D4 going about 65 mph and drop it into D3, you can feel the car jolt forward. Now, it's not the kind of jolt you get from turbo or NOS, but you CAN feel it...and it does have a real sweet sound to it :drool:

ummm....powershifting is something that i don't do often, meaning going from 1st to 2nd to D3, etc. I've done it a couple of times at the track just experimenting and my times didn't change as a result. They were like 17.2, 17.3....I actually did better with keeping it in D3 the whole way - 17.0. Also when you keep it in D3 the whole way, when it get's to the 3rd gear, it'll get up to about 6,000 rpms/it'll rev higher....usually i don't get to 4th on a 1/4 mile, so i just let off and i never redline.

Nobody wants to spend that kind of money for a 5 speed...unless they have it, which i don't. Nobody is acting like they have a 5 speed either; it's just smart racing. It's not gonna hurt to powershift every once in a while (doing it when racing once a month, etc.) and it DOES make a difference. If you are trying to reach the ideal Rpms in order to reach the max hp on your car, you will most likely need to Powershift. Yes, you can just hammer the pedal to the floor too, but powershifting is much more precise. You CAN choose when to shift. There’s about a 1 sec. Delay, but if you are smart about shifting your automatic manually, you will be able to figure out when to shift according to how much you have learned about your accord’s shift patterns, etc.

My advice is to keep it in D4 while daily driving, D3 for uphill climbs, passing on a 2 lane highway, occasional racing, etc. And use the option to powershift even less (track use). This is just advice from the way I have set up my shifting techniques. This way, your accord doesn’t see too much shifting abuse often, but you get some extra power when you request it – everybody’s happy :thumbup:

http://www.wikkedimports.com/92honda.htm
Ummm.... putting your foot all the way down in D4 is going to automaticly shift the car into the next lowest gear the engine can handle without redlining - which is almost exactly what you're doing when you force it into D3 except the tranny can do it a hell of a lot quicker than your right hand can. Maybe I'm being obtuse here, but like I said, the other "gears" just limit what the top gear is the tranny will shift into. So in D3, the tranny should act exactly as it would in D4, only it won't ever shift into O/D. Like wise, D2 will either allow the tranny to shift into D1 or D2, but never above. So, slapping the shifter into D3 is no different than putting the pedal to metal - unless of course something is already wrong with the shift logic in your tranny.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but maybe your car already has problems you're not aware of. Friend of mine had an 86 2.3L Mustang - it refused to down shift without being forced (i.e., slapping it into 2 from D). Wound up being a bad shift controller (some sort of ECU in some electronic trannies).
Old 09-21-2002, 06:38 AM
accordtunerx

true....but, my logic was that if you limit how much you use your ability to manually shift, then you have a decreased chance of anything going wrong w/ the tranny. And about the D3 shifting, I have timeslips to prove that racing in D3 improves 1/4 mile time as opposed to D4.

So....my overall message simplified is to just be CAREFUL as to how much you manually shift and be SMART as to when you do it.
Old 09-21-2002, 07:00 AM
Mr Hyde
Accord Forum Moderator

Originally posted by cwa107

Ummm.... putting your foot all the way down in D4 is going to automaticly shift the car into the next lowest gear the engine can handle without redlining - which is almost exactly what you're doing when you force it into D3 except the tranny can do it a hell of a lot quicker than your right hand can. Maybe I'm being obtuse here, but like I said, the other "gears" just limit what the top gear is the tranny will shift into. So in D3, the tranny should act exactly as it would in D4, only it won't ever shift into O/D. Like wise, D2 will either allow the tranny to shift into D1 or D2, but never above. So, slapping the shifter into D3 is no different than putting the pedal to metal - unless of course something is already wrong with the shift logic in your tranny.
Id rather pop it down into D3 and give it a moderate amount of gas to pass someone on the highway than to have to completely mash the pedal to the floorboard in order to get the tranny to downshift and finally pass someone. Either way the tranny is downshifting, what does it matter how it does it? Personally I dont see how changing the gear yourself and giving it a moderate to full amount of throttle is more stressful on the transaxle than flooring the pedal down to the floorboard and having it shift that way. The pedal effort and smoothness of shifting is immensely different in both cases. Have you driven the automatic Accord, because it takes much longer to floor the pedal and wait for the tranny to abruptly shift gears than it does to do it yourself with a flick of the wrist.

The TL-S / The 540i
Old 09-21-2002, 07:17 AM
razorv3

Originally posted by cwa107
I love people who think they can manually shift a regular autotranny. OK, let me 'splain something - IT'S AN AUTOMATIC. Rowing the shifter between D1-D2-D3-OD, whatever, does nothing but limit what the top gear is that the tranny will shift into. Not only is this an incredible waste of time, but it can be damaging because transaxles (i.e. FWD transmissions) are exceedingly fragile. They don't like being beaten and they are not designed to be "manually shifted". The only reason those "gears" are there is so that you can use the engine for braking if you're coming down a huge hill or are going up a hill and don't want to tranny shifting into OD. Those of you that have automatics are best advised to baby your transmission. If you don't it WILL eventually break.

A friend of mine works at a small transmission shop. The owners love you guys - by that I mean, those of you who drive your automatic four-cylinder cars as though it were a sports car, or better yet, modify it so that it's putting out more power than the transaxle was designed to handle (BTW, most automatics are designed to fit a variety of engines, and many times, bone stock cars are already overburdening the transaxle). If you really want to modify, street race or autocross your car, the first thing you need to do is put in an MTX - otherwise you're wasting your time (and eventually a whole lotta money). Thankfully Honda's transaxles are better than most. You should see the number of Fords/Mazdas sitting outside of this guy's shop.

Anyway, I hope I save at least one of you some time, money and frustration. Rebuilt automatics are not fun, they seldom work right and the car is never the same again. Replacing the entire unit with a solid, new automatic is the best option, but it will cost you a small fortune (better to just get a new car). This is why I spent so much time jumping up and down at the Honda dealer demanding an EX with a 5-spd (sort of hard to find since the EX's tend to be the top of the line). I just hope Honda eventually decides to put a manual option in the Accord V-6 four-door by the time my lease is up.

i agree with you but i have a question. if manual shifting is so bad(i also believe it) why does honda recommend it in the manual? it just doesn't make any sense. and for the people out there tring to act like they have a manual, please get a 5-spd and you'll be much happy. just keep it in d3 for city driving and d4 for highway use...:thumbup:
Old 09-21-2002, 08:03 AM
SteV6er

MANUALLY SHIFTING YOUR AUTO IS FINE

I love it how people always just blame their auto tranny failure on manual shifting, when more often than not that had absolutely nothing to do with it.

More than a few Accord V6 owners kept on saying that manual shifting caused their tranny to fail and I said it wasn't so and they didn't believe me. Now Honda just extended the warranty on a lot of their V6 tranny's to 7yr/100k miles because of a DEFECT in the transmissions that might cause them to fail prematurely.

Yup, it was that manual shifting all along :chuckles:

Like Mr Hyde said, the tranny is going to be shifting regardless. What difference does it make if YOU decide when to shift instead of the computer? Even then, there is plenty of idiot proofing built into the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) to prevent you from doing stupid things...like downshifting to 1st at 60 mph