Notices

Honda Accord Knock Sensor ???

Old 02-06-2006, 12:35 PM
roguemh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Accord Knock Sensor ???

Hi, I have a 2003 Accord and my engine light was on so I took it to the Honda dealership. They just told me that I have rodent damage. The rodent chewed through the knock sensor and I supposedly need to get a new one. He quoted me $400. He said the part is cheap, but the labor is the majority of the price. Does this sound reasonable? Is he messing with me. Should I bite the bullet and pay to have them fix it? Your advice is much appreciated
Old 02-07-2006, 01:31 AM
hoyoung02
HEAT:Shift_TechkaV

to replace a knock sensor..all you need to do it disconnect the neg side of battary and find where your knock sensor is and unbolt, replace the sensor, and bolt back on.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:45 PM
GenXer
Registered Honda user

Rodent damage, eh? What area are you in? Believe it or not it's becoming a problem in our area according to my bro., who is a Honda tech.
He has seen a high incidence of rodent damage lately. I can't speak to the price they quoted, but the cause of the damage is not unbelieveable to me.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:03 PM
scanrps
Honda Parts Tech

Yes this a common problem for 7th gen V6, also Pilots, Odyssey.
It involved removing parts of the intake system, and is not as easy
to fix as a earlier poster stated.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:43 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a service manual, www.helminc.com
Old 02-09-2006, 07:18 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

haha, sounds like bs to me. The rodent just happened to pick the knock sensor to chew through... none of the other plastic or wiring under the hood.

I'd find someone that really knows what they're talking about... Eff the dealer.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:34 PM
scanrps
Honda Parts Tech

Originally Posted by SumAccordGuy94
haha, sounds like bs to me. The rodent just happened to pick the knock sensor to chew through... none of the other plastic or wiring under the hood.

I'd find someone that really knows what they're talking about... Eff the dealer.
Not BS, Here is a Honda Service News article about this common
problem. See Page 6.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
a040600.pdf (239.3 KB, 73 views)
Old 12-26-2006, 11:30 AM
-[M@D]-iceman

My mother-inlaw has a 2003 accord and the dealer just gave her that line of bs- its a scam. I inspected the knock sensor wire myself and it is apparent that it was cleanly cut through, honda knows about the problem and are suggesting to the service centers that the cause is "rodent damage" so that they can nick the consumers for the repair and the service centers go along with it because the service writers are on commision and the mechanics get a lower rate for warranty work. I am reporting this to the BAR today and am going to have a BAR certified shop do the repair and see where this goes. But as far as I am concerned it is a factory defect that vehicle owners are getting ripped off because of.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:41 PM
sleezye

u r an idiot just my opinion though, they actaully send us vials of rat crap to sprinkle around the engine bay so it looks legit
Originally Posted by -[M@D]-iceman
My mother-inlaw has a 2003 accord and the dealer just gave her that line of bs- its a scam. I inspected the knock sensor wire myself and it is apparent that it was cleanly cut through, honda knows about the problem and are suggesting to the service centers that the cause is "rodent damage" so that they can nick the consumers for the repair and the service centers go along with it because the service writers are on commision and the mechanics get a lower rate for warranty work. I am reporting this to the BAR today and am going to have a BAR certified shop do the repair and see where this goes. But as far as I am concerned it is a factory defect that vehicle owners are getting ripped off because of.

Last edited by sleezye; 12-26-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:55 PM
GenXer
Registered Honda user

However weird, the rodent story is Honda's and they're sticking to it, and it is possible but maybe not probable. The bottom line is I don't think it's worth the time and effort to try and prove them wrong. For what it's worth, make a complaint to Honda, and maybe they'll goodwill it. If they refuse just buy the harness and move on.