Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem shifting..Need help

Old 12-16-2005, 04:12 PM
sorcerer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okie, i have not bled the clutch yet, but i noticed one thing recently. sometimes, say after a stop sign or a red light, when i put it in the 1st gear and want to start moving, the car shakes A LOT. i don't bring the clutch pedal up suddenly, and it did not use to do this...but occasionally, it shakes pretty bad and i have to push the clutch pedal down and start from 0!

now today, the mechanic (who did the timing belt job on my car) and i were test-driving the car (he was driving) and at a red light, when starting to move, the car shook violently...and he said that to him it felt like the clutch is slipping (or it's glazed)

damn, i don't have money after this timing belt job - i don't want to fix anything anymore
Old 12-17-2005, 03:53 AM
sponginpunk

i have had at least 5 cars with stick and have not known one not to do this
Old 12-20-2005, 06:15 AM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

wtf is this?
Old 12-20-2005, 07:47 AM
Vlad666

That was my question about an hour ago. He/she/it posted this link in every thread. Someone stop this please.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:50 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sorcerer
okie, i have not bled the clutch yet, but i noticed one thing recently. sometimes, say after a stop sign or a red light, when i put it in the 1st gear and want to start moving, the car shakes A LOT. i don't bring the clutch pedal up suddenly, and it did not use to do this...but occasionally, it shakes pretty bad and i have to push the clutch pedal down and start from 0!
You need a new clutch set. Your clutch or pressure plate or flywheel is UNEVENLY glazed or unevenly scorched, or maybe the clutch plate is warped. Or maybe there's oil or something on the clutch. That's another way for a clutch to go bad, even when it's not worn thin & slipping.

Originally Posted by sorcerer
damn, i don't have money after this timing belt job - i don't want to fix anything anymore
Sorry...

Very unlikely, but possible you can make it better by slipping the clutch a lot. Try to start in 4th gear in a parking lot somewhere. You aren't gonna really start moving (much?) but you'll slip the clutch a lot. Sometimes that polishes the surface & makes the shuddering better. Most likely it just turns your clutch into smoke. But your clutch is basically shot already, so what ya got to lose?
Old 01-06-2006, 08:44 PM
sorcerer

Thanks JimBlake. This does not happen a lot though...and I don't plan on fixing it soon (unless it'll lead to other problems in other parts of the car).
Which parts exactly does a clutch set include anyway? And do you have any idea how much fixing it will cost?
Old 01-13-2006, 08:24 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A new clutch disk & pressure plate. Often the throw-out & pilot bearings are included, sometimes not.