Notices

i got new rims..but do i need the Hub-centric Ring Kit?

Old 12-03-2005, 12:40 AM
hidewai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i got new rims..but do i need the Hub-centric Ring Kit?

i bought the rims today.....but they told me better get the Hub-centric Ring Kit....what is that for???is that important for my car???
Old 12-03-2005, 09:19 AM
jschmid

They are either plastic or metal rings that fit between your wheel and your hub to make up any slack between the wheel and the hub (not in a tightness thing, but in an up and down and left to right direction...hard to explain). Theory is that when tighten the lug nuts onto the hub, the HC rings direct the wheel perfectly centered onto the hub.

Is it neccessary? I don't think so. In theory once you have the lugnuts tightened the wheel should be centered HC rings or not. At least on the two sets of aftermarket wheels I've had...I didn't see how it could make a difference.

It does make it easier when mounting because you don't have to hold the wheel up as much when tightening the lugnuts.

I had a set of aftermarket wheels for a couple years before I had any HC rings...the only reason I got some is cause they were given to me free. So I go ahead and use mine, but I don't know if makes any difference once the wheels are torqued to spec.

This may vary with different wheels, I can only speak for the wheels I have/had.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:45 PM
thoughthard

I have heard to stories of broken lug bolts from not using them. They are cheap enough to not run without them.