Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my car Japanese?

Old 10-14-2005, 06:29 PM
AccordVT
Ian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my car Japanese?

My car is a 1994 Honda Accord EX 4dr 4cyl, the VIN does NOT begin with a J. It begins with a 1. The door Jam says it is made in Ohio, USA. So is it fair to say that my car is NOT japanese? Or is my car still a rice burner?:dunno:
Old 10-14-2005, 06:36 PM
shonnv
7th Gen Coupe V6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the cars are assembled in the US, We had a discussion not too long ago about a Guy's car build in the UK, then sent to japan for assembly and then came back to UK again.
Search the Forums, we have discussed this alot of times.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:37 PM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

Alot of Honda's are made here in the U.S
Old 10-14-2005, 08:08 PM
ItsaHonda

IMO, if it's built here in the States.. it's a domestic car. In order to be an 'import" it must obviously be imported. Just about all automobile manufacturers build cars globally. That is why the "Support USA - buy American' slogan is dated and shows the true ignorance of anyone who still preaches it.

100% of the profits do not go back to Japan, Korea, or anywhere else in the world that has an automobile industry. Portions go back into the assembly plant where it was built (wherever that might be) the designers/engineers who created it, the suppliers and the majority of the rest goes to the shareholders. If Japan gets any, it's a very minute percentage.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:36 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by ItsaHonda
IMO, if it's built here in the States.. it's a domestic car.
I think it has a lot more to do with where it's engineered because that's where the bulk of the cost is. I know the 7th gen Accord was engineered almost exclusively in the US. They're more American than most 'American' cars IMO.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:55 PM
shonnv
7th Gen Coupe V6

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
I think it has a lot more to do with where it's engineered because that's where the bulk of the cost is. I know the 7th gen Accord was engineered almost exclusively in the US. They're more American than most 'American' cars IMO.
I agree with you but the plateform is still the same. They do engineer and build the cars here keeping the local conditions is mind since there is huge difference b/w US market and Japanese. After all who engineers them even here????
Old 10-15-2005, 12:48 AM
Misa
Pic Whore

japanese company + japanese designs + US built != domestic
Old 10-15-2005, 02:18 AM
mrbkkt1
Aiea, HI

amazing too how many u.s. car companies make cars in canada and mexico.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:02 AM
motoguy128

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
The bulk of the costs are materials, fabrication, and assembly. Labor is 2nd, engineering is 3rd, next is marketing and administrative overhead, then the dealer gets a profit, and finally the manufacturer gets a profit. The NET profit margin on automobiles is very small. Typically less than 5% on average once all theur expenses and overhead is factored in. Many cars are sold at a NET loss for marketing reasons, or because it's better to take a loss on the sale, than reduce capacity or give up market share.