Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update opinions on Intake, Filters, and Resonators

Old 09-11-2005, 08:01 AM
FallenAngelHIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update opinions on Intake, Filters, and Resonators

i've spent the past two days reading all these old posts about intakes, filters, and resonators. i want to compile all your thoughts into one, so please feel free to explain.

Installing a SRI, is there any reason to remove the resonator? For speed, weight, or sound purposes.
Also, with a AEM SRI, is there any point in removing the AEM filter and getting a K&N filter.
Along with that, is there any difference between the shape of the K&N filter (some are long, wide, etc.)
I need an honest answer/opinion with some reason of proof, and please connect the points of all three questions.
Thank you!
Old 09-11-2005, 08:48 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FallenAngelHIM
Installing a SRI, is there any reason to remove the resonator? For speed, weight, or sound purposes.
Also, with a AEM SRI, is there any point in removing the AEM filter and getting a K&N filter.
Along with that, is there any difference between the shape of the K&N filter (some are long, wide, etc.)
I need an honest answer/opinion with some reason of proof, and please connect the points of all three questions.
Thank you!
The only reason to really remove the resonator is anal retentive...I took it out because it was no longer serving any purpose. It's not all that heavy and it doesn't affect anything once the tube is disconnected.

What are you comparing the K&N filter to again? If it's AEM, most (if not all) AEM intakes have a K&N filter. My SRI does. I think the new generation of AEM filters with the washable technology might be branded AEM but they could also be K&N.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:03 AM
lk21joker
AnotherAccordOwner

My installation of the SRI takes about 15mins. I didnt bother to remove the resonator. I'm thinking about a heat shield DIY. What do you think 98CoupeV6? I read it here http://syclone.motocrew.com/CG5/heatshield.htm
Old 09-11-2005, 11:23 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by lk21joker
My installation of the SRI takes about 15mins. I didnt bother to remove the resonator. I'm thinking about a heat shield DIY. What do you think 98CoupeV6? I read it here http://syclone.motocrew.com/CG5/heatshield.htm
Haha that's pretty cool, although I'm not sure how much heat is transferred into the intake filter from the engine. Luckily my AV6 already has a plastic "heat shield" on the battery box right next to where my filter sits. It would be interesting to actually test the temperature of the air midway up the intake with an SRI, CAI, and SRI with heat shield. I wonder if those tests already exist? It would be pretty easy to do, maybe some day if I feel motivated and someone gives me a CAI for free I'll try it out.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:56 AM
lk21joker
AnotherAccordOwner

I can do that comparison test, I just need something to measure the temp. I think they make a temperure gun, just point it at the location and it will read the temperure? am i right?

I happen to have an aem cai too. i bought the cai then i decided to go with the sri, I'll just sell the cai on eBay, what a waste of money so i better do some research before buying something for the accord.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:21 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by lk21joker
I can do that comparison test, I just need something to measure the temp. I think they make a temperure gun, just point it at the location and it will read the temperure? am i right?

I happen to have an aem cai too. i bought the cai then i decided to go with the sri, I'll just sell the cai on eBay, what a waste of money so i better do some research before buying something for the accord.
The easiest thing to do would be to drill a small hole maybe a few inches away from the throttle body and insert a temp probe in there...i doubt they cost very much. If you have a laptop all you'd need is the probe, if not they probably sell kits on ebay for nothing.