Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternator problem

Old 09-08-2005, 05:51 AM
dpmyers40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator problem

91 accord LX. When I turn on the ign. the charge light dosn't come on. The light dosn't come on when the engine is running. I disconnected the four prong connector and grounded a blue/white wire(haynes Manual) and the light comes on. The battery is fully charged and shows 12 volts, with the engine running it reads 15 volts. Under a load it also reads 15 volts. What is causing the light to stay off with I first turn on the ign. All other light work properly.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:06 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, welcome to HAN.

I don't get why you think your alternator has problems if you're getting proper charging levels?
Old 09-08-2005, 07:10 AM
dpmyers40

Default alt. Problem

Maybe I should have stated my problem differently. I don't think the problem is with the alt. I just want to know why the charge light is not coming on. If this is a circuit problem I might be having other problems later any would like to resolve the problem with the light. Thanks for the response.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:16 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by dpmyers40
Maybe I should have stated my problem differently. I don't think the problem is with the alt. I just want to know why the charge light is not coming on. If this is a circuit problem I might be having other problems later any would like to resolve the problem with the light. Thanks for the response.
Oh okay, gotcha.

Testing and Inspection - 1990-1993 Accord Charge Indicator

Prior to performing test, check alternator belt tension and electrical connector for proper installation.

1) Observe warning lamp with ignition on and engine stopped.
2) If lamp fails to light, disconnect electrical connector from alternator and ground white/blue wire terminal.
3) If lamp still does not light, check for the following:
a) Blown No. 2 fuse in dash fuse panel or defective bulb.
b) Open in black/yellow wire between warning lamp and fuse panel, or between fuse panel and ignition switch.
c) Open in white/blue wire between alternator and warning lamp.
d) Poor ground connections.

4) If lamp lights in step 3, check alternator and regulator operation as outlined and repair system if output is not within specifications.
5) With engine running at idle, charge warning lamp should be off.
6) If lamp remains on, check alternator output as outlined and repair system if output is not within specifications.
7) If system is charging and lamp still does not light, proceed as follows:
a) Disconnect alternator connector, then remove left kick panel.
b) Disconnect integrated control unit from dash fuse panel. Do not disconnect all connectors on dash fuse panel.
c) With ignition switch ON, charging light should go off.
d) If light goes off, replace integrated control unit.
e) If light does not go off, correct short to ground in white/blue wire between warning light and dash fuse panel, or between dash fuse panel and voltage regulator.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:47 AM
dpmyers40

I checked the lamp as in step 3. I will start at step 7 Thanks for the directions. I really hate working on wiring problems. Leaving for the weekend and will work on the car next week. Thanks again.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:50 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by dpmyers40
I checked the lamp as in step 3. I will start at step 7 Thanks for the directions. I really hate working on wiring problems. Leaving for the weekend and will work on the car next week. Thanks again.
No problem and good luck. Let us know how it works out or if you need other help.